Beef Roll-Ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
I printed this recipe from Martha Stewart's web page, my dinner tonight.

BEEF ROLL-UPS serves 6

1-3/4 lbs 1/2 inch thick center cut top round steak, 1/8 horizontal slices
4 Tbs unsalted butter
3 Tbs EVOO
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped and 1/2 medium onion sliced thin
1 lb mushrooms, finely chopped
coarse salt and pepper to taste
6 Tbs finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 can (15 oz) tomatoe sauce
1/2 cup red wine
grated picked beets and buckwheat groats for serving

Preheat oven to 350. Places slices of steak between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness, set aside.

Make the filling: in a large skillet heat 1 Tbs butter and 1 Tbs EVOO over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms have released all of their liquid and it has evaporated. Stir in parsley. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

Place one piece of the steak on a work surface. Spoon 1/6 of the filling onto the center of the steak. Sprinkle with 1/6 of the beadcrumbs, and roll up steak to enclose filling. Tie each end with a piece of kitchen twine. Repeat with remaining steak and filling.

In the same large skillet, heat 1 Tbs EVOO and 2 Tbs butter. Add roll-ups and cook until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer roll-ups to to a baking dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer.

In a small saucepan, heat remaining Tbs butter and remaining evoo over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sliced onions. Cook until onions are translucent, about 2 min. Stir in tomatoe sauce and wine. Cook until heated through. Pour over roll-ups and bake, uncovered, until tender, about 1-1/4 hours. Remove twine and serve with grated beets and buckwheat groats (kasha).

In German, this is Rouladen. In French, it's Roulaide(sp.). There are a great many recipes for this type of cooking. Many types of meat are used, such as poultry, beef, pork, lamb, etc. You can even do it with fish.

Likewise, there are a host of fillings ranging from a bread dressing, to fruits and nuts. The first such meal I had is discribed in my beef cookbook. It explains how I was a youn man of about 12 years, selling newspapers along a 4 mile route, on a cold-rainy day in November in Upper Peninsula MI. One of my customers invited me into their warm home and gave me a plate of round steak, jelly-rolled around a wonderful bread dressing, baked and plated with beef gravy. It was truly love at first bite. They were obviously my favorite customer after that, and always received their newspaper on time. I'm still thankful for their generosity to a young man on a very cold day who walked through the rain. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I make my Rouladen with a filling made of about 1/2 onions in 1/2 bacon. I basically render the bacon down, then toss in the diced onions & seaon with sage, then cook on low heat for a few hours. You do have to pour the grease off occasionally. I will add a little bit of bread crums at the end, more to bind it and for texture than as a filler. Then I just spoon about 1.5 TBSP onto the meat & roll it up. Layer 'em in a pan, cover with some beef gravy (with wine & sour cream) then bake.

Back when I was cheffing for a living, I did an Oktoberfest buffet every October. Every Weds of the month I had the buffet of German foods- it really goes over well in this part of the country.

pdswife1 said:
What could we use instead of the red wine.

From reading the recipe, and past experience cooking with wine, there is no substitute for the red wine ... while it "might" be a slight tenderizing agent for the meat in the first 15 minutes of cooking it appears to be mainly a flavoring component. Most of the alcohol will cook out.

Probably the only substitute (as far as the flavoring) would be "Non-Alcoholic" wine - which is still about 0.5% alcohol. Cooking wine is rotten wine you can't drink anyway because it taste so bad, 12% alcohol just like good wine, but has had so much salt added to it that you can't drink it.

Some people don't want to use wine in cooking for religious or health reasons .... but never give a second thought about using vanilla extract - which is 40% alcohol. 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract is about as much alcohol as 1/2 cup wine. And, most cough medicine has some alcohol in it, too.

In this recipe - more alcohol will cook out than a cake with vanilla extract.

Why not use red wine?

Michael in FtW said:
pdswife1 said:
What could we use instead of the red wine.

From reading the recipe, and past experience cooking with wine, there is no substitute for the red wine ... while it "might" be a slight tenderizing agent for the meat in the first 15 minutes of cooking it appears to be mainly a flavoring component. Most of the alcohol will cook out.

Probably the only substitute (as far as the flavoring) would be "Non-Alcoholic" wine - which is still about 0.5% alcohol. Cooking wine is rotten wine you can't drink anyway because it taste so bad, 12% alcohol just like good wine, but has had so much salt added to it that you can't drink it.

Some people don't want to use wine in cooking for religious or health reasons .... but never give a second thought about using vanilla extract - which is 40% alcohol. 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract is about as much alcohol as 1/2 cup wine. And, most cough medicine has some alcohol in it, too.

In this recipe - more alcohol will cook out than a cake with vanilla extract.

Why not use red wine?
I get really sick, head ache, tummy upset, hot and then cold flashes everytime I even smell red wine. I'm not worried about the alcohol content at all. Even pouring it in to the dish would be more than my body could handle.

Thanks for answering Michael.

I've never made this, so I don't know, but I wonder if you could use white wine without compromising the end result too much?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom