"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMerry View Post
And 1 lb. US = 455 grams or .455 kilogram

There are beef shanks in my grocery store here in Mexico all the time. I also used them in a beef barley soup and now I'm getting ready to try them in another recipe.
I find that if you go to a store that caters to the Latin trade in town you can find all kinds of meats that aren't readily available in the larger big box type markets.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...Finding veal shanks is also next to impossible around here. I'm going to have to prod some producers next time the Farmer's Market is open...in the Spring.

I have followed Julia Child's advice. If you don't see what you want, ask the meat manager for it. They could have it in the back or be willing to order some for you.

Most are eager to please and it costs them nothing extra to order a specific item as they just pass the cost along to you.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have followed Julia Child's advice. If you don't see what you want, ask the meat manager for it. They could have it in the back or be willing to order some for you.

Most are eager to please and it costs them nothing extra to order a specific item as they just pass the cost along to you.
I'm always cautious about special ordering. I would hate to gag on the price when they are going out of their way to order it for me.

But, I always think it's a good idea to talk to the butchers. One year I was looking for capon for my Solstice dinner party. I asked the butcher and she pointed at some "big chickens" that were already out. She told me that they don't write that they are capons because people get weirded out. Now I know why some people think that big chickens are juicier and more tender than smaller ones. I was very pleased, because they cost the same as chicken with no premium for being a capon.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Sous Chef

My local grocery store has beef shanks (cross-cut, not whole like the lamb shanks that are also available). Usually they cost more than chuck, so I generally go with chuck for braised dishes.

I think foodies have driven demand and prices for "Odds and Ends" into middle-territory of butcher counter prices. While short ribs don't have prices on par with rib-eye, they are certainly more expensive than ground meat in my neck of the woods. I see food prices as follows...

1. Premium Cuts: Beef Tenderloin, Rib-Eye, Veal
2. New Demand: Chicken Wings, Short Ribs, Baby-Back Ribs, Veal Bones, Sweetbreads
3. Economy: Ground Meat, Chicken Breasts
4. Cheap: Liver/Stomach, Whole Birds, Whole Pork Cuts

The price of veal bones has really gone up in my area - something I'm bummed about as I use to buy 30+ pounds at a whack and load our freezer with a few quarts of Glace De Viande for sauces. I used to get them for less than a dollar a pound, and now it's 2-4X that depending on market prices.

We've been eating more pork lately, with pork bones being almost free for stock. Turkey has also been on our menu quite a bit, along with whole Haddock (I'm on the NE coast). We have beef maybe once a month.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I find that if you go to a store that caters to the Latin trade in town you can find all kinds of meats that aren't readily available in the larger big box type markets.

I totally agree with this!

I have bought boneless beef shanks for about 2.50lb
Great place for offal and they also have ribs cut every way you can think of.I get tongue there too.Yummo!

I can also get tenderloin for 3.99-4.99lb there.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I guess it's time to start talking to the butchers at the ethnic stores.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I use beef shanks and shin bones for soups stews and sauces. Wonderful!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Is it just where I am or are what used to be considered "cheap" cuts now really expensive? Shanks, ox tail, short ribs, even soup bone (if you can find them) seem to cost close to the same as regular cuts.
It's not your imagination, Dave.

When chefs started using the so-called lesser cuts of meat on their restaurant menus, they became popular, and folks started requesting them at the market. The retailers saw the opportunity to gouge us a little further, and have been raising the prices ever since.

BTW, Osso Buco is technically veal shanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
Master Chef

Flank steaks. Used to be the cheapest thing that wasn't ground.

I think that what used to be sold as shanks is now cut smaller and sold as soup bones. I live in a small town, and when something like this comes up, I talk to the butcher. He might be able to get a shank whole rather than in the 3/4 or so inch cut for soup or marrow bones.

I'd think that a slow braise in red wine with vegetables would be good.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
That is where I also find them.

Tags
other