Beef shanks, anyone cook them anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Squid hit one of our supermarkets once, and it was very cheap. Most people in my neck of the woods would think of squid only to be used as catfish bait. I was delighted as I know what to do with squid. Then, the Food Network explained to people that squid is made into calamari. This sounds fancy to the folk up here in the U.P. Squid jumped in price by at least 2 dollars, almost instantly.

Yes, it's good that people are more informed about food than they used to be. But do the retailers have to gouge us on everything? I am so tired of being broke all the time, and thinking that I have to purchase only the cheapest cuts of meat, and virtually no seafood (the stuff is astronomically priced around here). And beef prices, well they are almost outside the realm of affordability, except for the ubiquitous 80/20 ground chuck. Fortunately, there is a place nearby (25 miles away actually) where they process from live critter to something ready for my freezer. It's not USDA inspected, but from personal experience, it is far better meat than I can get at the grocers, and at about $2.75 per pound, a much better value. Of course, you can't by anything less than a quarter cow (a half cow would be so much better, with the bones of course).

Yes my friends, food costs have risen dramatically, while the quality has gone down. It's a frustrating world.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom