Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peppe2

Assistant Cook
Love to make beef stew on cold wintry nights here in NY. All the cuts I have used are very stringy- tender, but stringy. It reminds me of pulled pork, but in beef. Does anyone have a suggestion for other cuts of meat that when cooked are not stringy? I cook the stew in a slow cooker.

I use boneless chuck for stew.

If the chunks of beef are falling apart like pulled pork, that's an indication they have cooked too long. Try cutting back on the cooking time a little and you should have tender cubes of meat in your stew.

I use Brisket for most of my STEWS. I cut it into 1/2 cubes and then I brown it in a very hot skillet before putting in my slow cooker. Most all cuts of beef will be stringy if left in a natural state. It is the nature of the beast

I use chuck too, but I cube it, flour, sear then proceed with recipe, no problem. I don't do it in a slow cooker, stove top simmer about 3 hrs. Been awhile since I have made it though.

Last edited:
Check out the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Cook's Illustrated pages 16 and 17. The piece is called "Mastering the Art of Stew" You may be able to look at the magazine at either a bookstore or kitchen store. It usually is not shrink wrapped.

I always like to use braising steak, brown it off first and then cook slowly. Lovely and tender but definitely not stringy.

Back
Top Bottom