"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Master Chef

The gel comes from dissolved collagen and comes from connecting tissue, and cartilage. Adding roasted meat will add additional flavor, as will the veggies, but neither are abosolutely required for a stock. The bones should be broken, or cracked to allow the simmering liquid access to the inner marrow found in all bones. Also, adding celery will make the water slightly acidic, which helps leach nutrients and collagen from the bones. If you leave the carrots and onions out, then you are free to use the stock to make broths, soups, sauces, and gravies where those flavors may not be wanted.

Stock is simply the nutrient rich liquid made from simmering bones until as much of the nutrients can be extracted as is possible. It is called a stock because it is used to "stock" the pantry.

Tom turn stock into consume', the liquid has to be filtered to remove all debri. This is usually done with a raft. the liquid becomes clear.

Beef stock is used to make Au Jus, Demi-Glace, Espaniogle, gravies and soups.

Chicken stock is used for Veloute' Soups, Gravies, and as the base for everthing from sweet & sour sauce, to chicken and dumplings, to Chicken Chow Mein.

Pork and veal stock can also be used to make Veloute, along with a host of other things.

Fish stock si called a fume' and can be used in many Asian dishes, and to make sauces. It is also the base liquid for Bouillabaisse.

Vegetable stocks are less well known, but are very versatile as well.

Enjoy your stock. It can either be home canned, or frozen for storage.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Thanks G-dub! I have used a splash of vinegar in my chicken stock to bring out the collagen so the same principal should apply to beef, no?

Now I fear I have a food safety question related to the bones. I had them in the freezer up until last weekend. I took them out of the freezer and put them in my crisper. The thing I hate about the crisper is I always forget I have put things there. I try not to use it but alas, my fridge was so full at the time and I needed space in my freezer for a ginormous pork loin I just bought. Anyway, the bones have been chillin in the fridge for about a week. I feel like they are probably still OK to use but wanted to bounce it off you guys. They were deep frozen when I bought them, if that makes any difference.

Also, any good ideas on how a 95 pound woman can break the bones?

Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Thanks G-dub! I have used a splash of vinegar in my chicken stock to bring out the collagen so the same principal should apply to beef, no?

Now I fear I have a food safety question related to the bones. I had them in the freezer up until last weekend. I took them out of the freezer and put them in my crisper. The thing I hate about the crisper is I always forget I have put things there. I try not to use it but alas, my fridge was so full at the time and I needed space in my freezer for a ginormous pork loin I just bought. Anyway, the bones have been chillin in the fridge for about a week. I feel like they are probably still OK to use but wanted to bounce it off you guys. They were deep frozen when I bought them, if that makes any difference.

Also, any good ideas on how a 95 pound woman can break the bones?
The bones should be fine. As for breaking them, a heavy meat cleaver will do the work for you. Otherwise, I'm thinking a hammer or steel mallet. Have the bone you are trying to break, or crack, in a heavy paper or plastic bag so as to contain any bone fragments that might splinter off and away.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Oh good idea on the bag... I don't think I would have thought of that. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
Master Chef

To get a good flavor and color, I put my beef bones on a baking tray (with a lip) along with halved or quartered onions, chunks of carrot and celery, some garlic (no need to peel). Sprinkle with S&P and drizzle with a little olive oil if the bones don't have much fat. I bake at 350 or maybe 400 for an hour or two (you don't want it to burn, but definitely to brown). Then slide all of them into my largest stock pot and barely cover with water. A bay leaf, some thyme. Then I let it stew. All day. strain and refrigerate, skim any fat, then freeze.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
Master Chef

Oh, yes. I poke out any marrow, put it on bread (between the roasting stage and stewing stage). Yumm
Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
Senior Cook

So get this... I opened up the paper wrapped package of "bones" and all I really have are 2 chunks of bone/meat. More meat than bone for sure. I looked at the outside of the package again and it says "soup bones". I quickly concluded that the package's contents were meant for 1 batch of beef based soup. So... into the crock pot it goes! Help? It's 1:30 here... could I have a veggie/beef soup ready by dinner time in the crock pot? Or maybe if I started it now it and let it go until lunch time tomorrow it would be better? *sigh* There never seems to be a dull moment in my kitchen.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
Master Chef

If you have a pressure cooker, take that water and soup bone/s, along with chunks of carrot, potato, celery, and onion. Add a little salt, pepper, and garlic to the mix. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Your soup will be perfect. For added flavor, you can add red wine. It's a French thing. I never use alcoholic beverages personally, but understand that many people like them.

Also, if you simply place the same ingredients as above in a regular soup pot, on the stove top, and simmer for about three hours, you will have great soup. I don't think the slow cooker will work for tonight's meal.

You can also braise those bones in a 340' oven, in a casserole dish, or dutch oven, along with the same veggies and get a great soup, or the beginning of a great stew. For stew, simply make a light-brown roux with equal parts butter and flour (about 4 tbs. each should do for a standard pot of stew), and make a thickening sauce by whisking about 3/4 cup of soup broth into the roux. Then add the roux to the soup, remove the bones, and remove the meat from the bones. Add the meat back into the meal.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Roast the bones after the crock pot. There should still be tons of goodness there.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

2 different ways in making beef stock

One
Burn the bones with mirepoix and spreading tomato paste on the bones to cover it turn it after it darkens then roast again for longer.

Put bones in pot, deglaze roasting pan with wine add water,veg,herbs skim every 30 minutes remove after 8hrs of simmering.

recipe 2

Bring bones to boil. Strain bones, simmer bones again with vegetables add tomato paste in with herbs, skim constantly remove bones and skim stock

I honestly dont know which one tastes better but the first is alot darker.

Tags
beef