"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Beef stock question

I have some beef bones I bought at the farmer's market and want to try my hand at making stock with them. I've read up on the method and feel pretty good about that but my question is do I need to add any beef "trimmings" to it? A few articles I read said that it will add more flavor. I don't have any trimmings so if it's decided that I should add some beef, do you think I could add some cooked ground beef?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Master Chef

I can't see why the bones alone won't work but the ground beef won't harm your stock either. Just don't add too much water then the stock won't be too diluted. And if the beef your planning to use is pre seasoned I wouldn't use it. Rather some ground raw beef.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Head Chef

I don't use any trimmings. I roast the bones, add carrots, onions, celery, all unpeeled, water, and simmer for hours. No seasoning added to the stock, including salt. Time enough to add seasoning when using. Stock freezes well. I reduce it down to a couple of ice cube trays or muffin tins and freeze separately
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

When I buy bones for stock they usually have some meat on them. If not I will buy a little bit of chuck and roast it along with the bones before making the stock.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

I have heard that to get the most flavor from the bones the stock should be very gently simmered and not boiled. I guess it helps to get the marrow out. If you can break the bones, that is supposed to help too.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Executive Chef

If you have marrow bones, I would poke the marrow out at some point and let it concentrate on the bottom. I would add some garlic in the skins also. You can't really go wrong. Just don't burn the bejeesus out of it.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks all! I think I'll give it a shot this weekend just using the bones. They are wrapped in paper so maybe they have meat on them anyway. We'll see... I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Make sure you allow a lot of time. They should simmer for at least 12 hours.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks Andy! I will let it go for 12+ hours in hopes of getting some gelatin out of dem bones.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #10
Master Chef

why do I feel the urgent need for a beef soup at 9 in the morning??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I don't use any trimmings. I roast the bones, add carrots, onions, celery, all unpeeled, water, and simmer for hours. No seasoning added to the stock, including salt. Time enough to add seasoning when using. Stock freezes well. I reduce it down to a couple of ice cube trays or muffin tins and freeze separately
that's almost the way we do that... only difference is, I add the veggies (+leek) when it starts to boil.
I add some roast for the taste and DH's delight

You need to plan two days for the broth, start the first, simmer for hours and hours, cool down over night and start the simmering again the next day.

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef