Beef stroganoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
This started out as another Betty Crocker recipe.
I'll put my changes in red. ( sorry it's late!!!!):):)

1 1/2 - 2 pounds stew meat ( sometimes I use round steak)
2 tablespoons butter ( I use three)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3 tablespoons catsup ( I some times us tomato paste instead)
1 small clove garlic minced ( I use three or four nice size cloves)
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion choped ( I slice mine and use a large onion)

3 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
3-4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Brown meat in the butter.
Stir all but 1/3 cup of the beef broth in with the beef. Set the 1/3 cup to the side. ( I also add the garlic and about 1/2 cup of the onion now and the Worcestershire sauce now) Heat to boiling and then reduce heat, cover and simmer until the meat is nice and tender about 90 minutes.

Stir in mushrooms and onions.
Cover and simmer until onions are soft.
Shake reserved broth and the flour in a tightly covered jar.
Then slowly add it to the meat mixture. Heat to boiling. Sirring constantly. Cook for one more minute.

Reduce heat and stir in the sour cream.

Serve over rice or noodles.

I sometimes find that I have to add more beef broth.
The Worcestershire can me added, left out or doubled depending on your taste.

ENJOY!

sounds good!!!!!!!.. I wonder if this would work by just using browned hamburger? hmmmm

I don't see why not.... I might not simmer it for the whole 90 minutes though.

This sounds so good. Unfort., DH doesn't care for Stroganoff. I've thought about making it for myself but never get around to it. Maybe once my kitchen is done and my girlfriends and I get together for a cook together day then I'll suggest we make this and pig out. Thanks pds!

Unfortunately I made this for DH once using filet mignon which was on sale really cheap at our QFC - Now he's hooked on that so he only gets this once in a blue moon!

2:rolleyes:

middie said:
Sizz same here. I love it. Idiot hates it and son's allergic to dairy products

Sizz and Middie..... Make it and just leave out the sour cream!
It's not the same but it's still really good!!:):):)

pdswife said:
Sizz and Middie..... Make it and just leave out the sour cream!
It's not the same but it's still really good!!:):):)

Hey I like the sour cream.......I like the whole dish period its DH that has the problem. Too bad you didn't live closer Middie we could fix it for ourselves and order pizza for the guys.

sizz, in that case... take the portion you want to eat and add a spoon or two of the sour cream. Hubby can eat it with out. Really... it's good with and with out. ( I don't like sour cream either...ICK but I love this dish...go figure)

This recipe sounds very good, thank you! I've made beef stroganoff using hamburger and that's good, too. What I call a "hungry boys" recipe, a cheaper and faster alternative for the weary cook who needs to feed teenagers or a crowd.

To Lindatoo--try substituting top sirloin--it's tender and lower in fat, too, and that's what I use. And stores will put that on sale long before they put their tenderloin (filet mignon). Who knows---hubby might not notice.

Your recipe aounds wonderful- once again you have saved me on a what's for dinner dilemna!!!!!Thanks you sooooo much!love and energy, Vicki

i have made Beef Stragenoff using left over steak as well as Round Steak. Make 1 inch cubes of your Steak meat to about 2 cups or so depending on the size of your frying pan. I do this by sight.
In one frying Pan put about a cup of butter, as it melts stir in an 8 ounce package of sliced mushrooms.
Fry them in the butter until browned. I get CC Cinnemon Butter in the Grocery Store. If Mushrooms have all ready been cooked and are left over they do not need to be cooked long. Set aside to rest.
Put about 2 cups 1 inch cubed meat in a Frying Pan. Stirring clock wise mix in 8 onces of Sour Cream turning the meat mixng it with the Sour Cream. I sometimes use French Onion Dip in place of the Sour Cream.
Stir the Mushrooms with butter they were cooked in into the Sour Cream/OnionDip Steak mixture. Add 4 Tsp. flour.
Saute cooking until the meat is tender and the meat and ushrooms are browned.
Serve and enjoy.

Here's Rick stein's Beef Stroganoff, aparently he cooked this dish day in day out when he worked as a trainee chief. I have cooked it myself and personally felt that it needed more onions or even use sweet onions/red onions. Also I cooked the dish with rump steak and although I couldn't cut the beef with a fork it still was soft, I think sirlion would probably give you a good compramise between texture and price.

the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/beefstroganoffwithma_71568.shtml

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom