"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Cook

Beef Stroganoff

My mom used to make a beef dish with sour cream, mushrooms, and I think tomato paste, and she called it stroganoff. Does most stoganoff -- or traditional stroganoff -- have a tomato element? I loved it, rich and creamy, over egg noodles. Anyone have favorite version?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Traditional Stroganov contains no tomato. Although many current versions are slow cooked using cheaper cuts of meat, the traditional recipes call for fast cooking with good steak cuts.

I really like this over buttered wide egg noodles.

Beef Stroganov

1 T Powdered mustard 2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
4 Tb Oil
2 Tb Butter
4 C mushrooms, sliced thin
4 C Onions, sliced thin
2 Lb Tenderloin or Sirloin
1 tsp Black pepper
1 Pt Sour cream

Combine the mustard, half the sugar, and a pinch of salt with a Tb of hot tap water and stir to form a paste. Let it stand for 15 minutes.

Heat half the oil in a large fry pan or skillet. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir. Cook covered over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and discard the juices.

Trim all fat from the beef and slice into strips 0.25” by 1”.

Place the remaining oil and the butter in a hot fry pan or skillet. Brown the meat rapidly over high heat. Cook the meat in several small batches to ensure rapid browning.

Return all the meat to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Add the remaining salt, pepper, sugar and mustard paste.

Add the sour cream a spoonful at a time and mix in gradually until it is all heated through.

Serve over buttered egg noodles (one pound) or rice (2 cups).

Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Cook

Beef Stoganov

Andy: You are the best!! Thank you. I'm putting this right in my file. I just had dinner and am hungry again already.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Andy, that is one fine looking beef stroganoff recipe. I will be giving that a try. What is the purpose of the sugar? Can I leave it out?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...What is the purpose of the sugar? Can I leave it out?

It's just part of the flavor profile. I'd consider reducing it rather than leaving it out but you could with no problem.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
Master Chef

This is one of my favorite dishes to make. My original recipe was from Betty Crocker, but by now (almost 40 years later), it is just my own. If you use tomato paste (and I do), you do not need sugar. It is sweet enough. My husband's family are of eastern European background, and he used to make it a more pure white/brown sauce. It was good, but he likes mine better. He jokes (but it is true) that it is a cross between real stroganoff and goulash. To make it easier (that is to say less likely for the sour cream to separate), I take the sour cream, tomato paste, and a bit of Wondra flour, and mix them in a bowl together. Then I add them to the meat, onion, garlic, mushroom, off the heat, then gradually re-warm the mixture until it thickens.

My husband makes a great French onion soup, and we always have leftovers. I often use the leftover soup as part of my stroganoff.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Top stuff Andy that is the nearest anyone has got to the recipe my Georgian Uncle showed me 50 yrs ago.
Instead of the mustard and sugar he dusted the meat with seasoned flour so when you add the sour cream it thicken quickly to almost scrambled eggs consistency. I have said this before that he said it was trad in his part of the ussr to eat special crisp fries with strog.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Head Chef

Here's the recipe I use and it's fantastic stuff. I have subbed sherry for the cognac when I was out with success. I have never used whipping cream, I've always made creme fraiche to use.

Beef Stroganoff

Bon Appétit | September 1999

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Cook

Zereh, I will be trying your recipe as soon as possible. If I wasn't at work I would be making it now!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My husband...jokes (but it is true) that it is a cross between real stroganoff and goulash.
I tend to think of stroganoff with a tomato element since my mom made it that way and it was SOOO good. But also want to try Andy and Zereh versions.

Tags
beef