Beef Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
My grocery store had a sale on beef tenderloin for $5.99 a lb. , I decided to make it for dinner. :chef: I tied it with kitchen twine, salted it with kosher salt, seared it in vegetable oil. Made a mixture of hot-sweet mustard with evoo, basil, salt and pepper, onion powder, brushed it on the meat. I had the oven preheated at 450 degrees, cooked meat for about 25 min , til temp reached 125 degrees, took it out , let it rest for 15 min. It was so tender and delicious! We don't like bloody meat, it was just right for us, pink on the inside .

You forgot to let me know in time to get there!!!
Oh, yeah, that was on purpose.....
:)
Sounds great!

My local market rolled back prices on beef tenderloin this week - $2.99 --- I am probably going to go get a couple more - tell me - what is your favorite way to prepare - looking for a variety of methods - roasting, steaks, grilling ---- thanks in advance!

My local market rolled back prices on beef tenderloin this week - $2.99 --- I am probably going to go get a couple more - tell me - what is your favorite way to prepare - looking for a variety of methods - roasting, steaks, grilling ---- thanks in advance!

A word of caution. I have heard of, but not seen, a different cut or cuts of meat that are being sold with tenderloin as part of their name. Something along the lines of top round tenderloin or shoulder tenderloin. These are not the same true tenderloin and may be disappointing if you are expecting the real thing.

If it's the real thing, go buy a freezer and fill it.

Thanks Andy - I just went and checked out the label and it says beef tenderloin --- I hope it tastes as good! Better that I prepare it first before I go and get more, huh? You are always looking out for me, thanks!

Does anyone have cooking time for grilling beef tenderloin STEAKS approx. 1 1/2" thick? We like med rare-medium. I read online 13 min per side. That seems a bit long?? I know it continues to cook while resting...thanks in advance.

Does anyone have cooking time for grilling beef tenderloin STEAKS approx. 1 1/2" thick? We like med rare-medium. I read online 13 min per side. That seems a bit long?? I know it continues to cook while resting...thanks in advance.

Hi, Katie. Welcome to DC.

26 minutes for steaks is a very long time! Grills differ from one to the other. So do techniques so it's hard to give an exact time.

Your best bet is to use a meat thermometer and take them off at an internal temperature of around 125F to 130F and let them rest for 5-20 minutes before cutting into them.

I'd start them on high heat to sear both sides then move to indirect heat to finish the interior to the right level.

Thanks so much. It is a weber grill that is fairly new. So, maybe sear 1 minute on each side (high heat) then put to indirect heat? I (well, hubby) made last year for Easter and they were amazing. I know he wont remember how long he cooked for. Thanks so much for your help. Is it true never to pierce meat?:ohmy:

...Thanks so much for your help. Is it true never to pierce meat?:ohmy:

You're welcome.

Yes, it's true. When meats get hot, the meat cells contract, squeezing internal juices out of the cells. If you use a fork to move or turn the meat or cut it open to check for doneness (shudder), you let the juices run out. That's why you are always told to let the meat rest after cooking. As the meat rests and cools, the juices are reabsorbed and won't be lost.

Andy is spot-on.

And that resting period is critical because not only will the meat continue to cook for at least 10 minutes after you pull it from the heat, if you DO cut into it sooner, the juices will all run out and your meat will be DRY.

In fact, not cutting or tearing the meat is so important, you should be sure to use tongs when you handle the meat, and not a fork.

Back
Top Bottom