Beef Tenderloin Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
We recently got a mock tenderloin from the store. It's called a beef chuck mock tender roast. I was wondering if this cooks similar to a beef tenderloin? Can anyone help me out?

I've never heard of this....but nothing is going to cook like tenderloin except tenderloin.

Is the shape similar? Perhaps that is why they call it 'mock'?

In my opinion, I'd cook it as you'd normally cook chuck, long and slow, and then slice it like a tenderloin.

Did you check the difference in price per pound between regular chuck, tenderloin and the mock tender? I'd be curious to see the difference in price.
I'd also like to know how it comes out.

Mock tender is simular to filet in shape only...and even that is stretching it a bit. It is a cut from the Chuck portion and should be treated as such..braising etc...One could I suppose slice it say 1 11/4 in and grill..quickly and only to a rare ro medium rare..and It might be ok...but don't expect it to be anything close to true filet/tenderloin etc.

My buddy tried the mock tender. He cooked like a steak on the grill to med rare and said that it was good, but that you haqd to eat it hot. When it cooled the fat becomes very tallowy and not very good.

JDP

Thanks for the advise. We were going to roast it in the oven after browning, but my mothers oven broke so I ended up having to cook everything on the stovetop. I cut large cuts and cooked them medium-rare. it was ok, but a little chewy. I think we might stick to other cuts of meat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom