"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Beef tongue

I thought that what I used to eat and was my favorite meat as a kid was smoked tongue. I've looked around at some recipes for making it and I think I was mistaken. I think that what I loved was pickled tongue. It's was similar to corned beef but way better.

I found this. I can do it without having to buy anything new except the tongue. I'm quite sure I'll be able to get one at Casios, a butchering place only about 25 miles from here.
https://jewishfood.wordpress.com/200...d-beef-tongue/

Old 05-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Master Chef

My mother used to make pickled tongue using a sauerbraten recipe. We ate it hot with gravy or cold ,sliced paper thin, for sandwiches.

This recipe from a local restaurant is similar to the recipe that she used. She peeled the tongue after it was cooked, prior to making the gravy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-2e6998013cfa/

Old 05-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Beef tongue

My mother fondly talked about how much she loved thinly sliced cold tongue sandwiches as a child. Then she saw a whole tongue at the butcher's, and that put an end to her fondness

I've never eaten it.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Executive Chef

We used to have tongue growing up. Made like corned beef. Hot for dinner, which I didn't care for very much, and then cold sandwiches with mustard in our school lunch box. Now that was a good treat.

Nowadays I see tongue / lengua at taco trucks and some Mexican restaurants menus.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Then she saw a whole tongue at the butcher's, and that put an end to her fondness

Back in the stone age a girl I liked asked me to dinner.

Her mother brought a tongue on a platter to be carved.

It's the only time I've ever been rude enough to say "I'm sorry but I can't eat that."

I'm sure it's good stuff but the memory of that giant tongue just won't let me do it.

And it is not on my bucket list.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Back in the stone age a girl I liked asked me to dinner.

Her mother brought a tongue on a platter to be carved.

It's the only time I've ever been rude enough to say "I'm sorry but I can't eat that."

I'm sure it's good stuff but the memory of that giant tongue just won't let me do it.

And it is not on my bucket list.

What? no parsley to garnish the platter. Like beets, tongue is easier to peel the skin off after it's cooked. And slice it in the kitchen before bringing to the table is a good idea. Who above said serve it with gravy/ sauce, I think that's a good idea too.

I once asked the meat guy at a grocery how much was tongue, he said $9 /pound, 2 lb minimum. I passed on it I saw it at Costco later for a Much more reasonable price, but I still haven't bought one.

Liz can use her new pressure cooker for this, I 'm pretty sure.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
Master Chef

I've been enjoying beef tongue all my life and it was not a big deal to me as a child. After boiling it and skinning it, Mama would slice it in a 9X13 and layer it with sliced cooked potatoes, and cooked spinach, topped with a delicious horseradish gravy made from the highly spiced boiling liquid. It was delicious.

When I was a new bride (50 yrs ago) I thought I could cut the corners of the long cooking time with a new pressure cooker as a wedding gift. That was a total disaster..nobody wants a bloody tongue. agghhh...no, no, no!!

Flash forward several years, I was boiling a tongue on the stove, with a pot of potato's on the side, when we had unexpected visitors at dinner time. He lifted the lid on the big pot, slammed it back down and asked if the balls were in the smaller pot.
They didn't stay for dinner.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

I love tongue, but hate pickled tongue. Go figure I love everything else pickled.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I haven't had tongue in years. I loved it as a kid. I loved it as a young adult, but I just haven't gotten around to cooking it since the early 80s. That's probably because I don't see it at the store, so I forget about it.

Tags
beef