"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 06-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Beef tongue

I just put my tongue in the brine. It's supposed to soak in the brine for at least a week before I braise it. I might go 2 weeks. Good things come to those who wait.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Master Chef

Interesting Liz. I've always just boiled mine fresh until tender. I'm intrigued by your method.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I tried making one by just boiling it and the results were not close to the Jewish Deli's when I lived in NJ. this time before I bought the tongue I looked around to find out how Jews do it. I found this recipe. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it comes out. https://jewishfood.wordpress.com/200...d-beef-tongue/
Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I just put my tongue in the brine. It's supposed to soak in the brine for at least a week before I braise it. I might go 2 weeks. Good things come to those who wait.
Wow! You're a trooper. I couldn't leave my tongue in a glass of milk for five minutes, let alone a week, and I love milk. (Ok, it wasn't all that funny. But you know me and my cornball humor.)

Oh, you mean the cow tongue. Yeh, he won't mind. He's up there with his dad and grandpa, not to mention he mom and grandma, eating from a perfect field on a perfect day.

Good luck with your tongue trial. If my DD's ever read this, they'd be rolling their eyes at me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I wondered if I'd get a comment like that when I wrote "I put my tongue in the brine and will leave it to soak for at least a week" It does sound humorous.

My personal tongue is just fine where it is...permanently stuck in my cheek.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Wow! You're a trooper. I couldn't leave my tongue in a glass of milk for five minutes, let alone a week, and I love milk. (Ok, it wasn't all that funny. But you know me and my cornball humor.)

Oh, you mean the cow tongue. Yeh, he won't mind. He's up there with his dad and grandpa, not to mention he mom and grandma, eating from a perfect field on a perfect day.

Good luck with your tongue trial. If my DD's ever read this, they'd be rolling their eyes at me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief,
Share that peace pipe.

On topic, I am in awe of the OP.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Gosh, in awe of me for this? Anyone can do this. Easy peasy. Most of the time I'll spend on it will be waiting for the brine to work in the fridge and waiting for a 250 degree oven to do it's magic.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

Liz, do you have follow along directions for us? SousChef (DH) is Jewish and raised in New York but he has no first hand experience or memory of it being prepared.

Edit: Whoops, I just saw your link. Thanks Liz

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Beef tongue

I too would be very interested in how it goes!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Master Chef

Pickled tongue is definitely an acquired taste. I for one hate it, even though I grew up Jewish, eating Jewish food. To pickle it you basically can use corn beef recipe. It is exactly the same idea. Good luck.

Tags
beef