Beef Wellington??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ash160

Assistant Cook
Good evening guys,

Sorry if this has been done before but this is my first post.
I'm looking on some advice on booking Beef Wellington. What can I sub for mushrooms as I can't stand the thing lol.

I am cooking a family dinner on sat, does anyone have any nice recipes?

I would also like to make some kind of bone marrow gravy. Not 100% sure how either.

Any tips, advice or recipes would be great.

Thanks
:)

Since you don't like mushrooms, maybe you should consider a recipe that doesn't require them.

I was under the impression a beef wellington has pate (properly foie gras) in it to start with, as well as the duxelles (properly with truffles).

What's "pate"? And if you do not like mushrooms skip them altogether.

Charlie, it is a sort of paste. Usually liver. Goose liver to be exact. But it can be any liver. Pate' means paste. So you can make it from mushrooms, liver or any food you can turn into a paste. It is usually served on small crackers, or little pointed pieces of toasts called 'points.'

Anyone else care to chime in with a clearer explanation? :angel:

I was under the impression a beef wellington has pate (properly foie gras) in it to start with, as well as the duxelles (properly with truffles).

I believe you are right, but recipes are all over the place on what kind of mushrooms for the duxelles and whether to use pate.

There are lots of recipes using only duxelles but not that many using only pate.

I believe you are right, but recipes are all over the place on what kind of mushrooms for the duxelles and whether to use pate.

There are lots of recipes using only duxelles but not that many using only pate.

Considering the cost of doing it all up like the original, yeah, I can see there being other (cheaper) recipes.

A whole beef tenderloin? Enough foie gras and truffles for same? Ouch...

Considering the cost of doing it all up like the original, yeah, I can see there being other (cheaper) recipes.

A whole beef tenderloin? Enough foie gras and truffles for same? Ouch...

Ouch is right!!!

Done "right" it is verrry expensive. But verrrrry good!

Charlie, it is a sort of paste. Usually liver. Goose liver to be exact. But it can be any liver. Pate' means paste. So you can make it from mushrooms, liver or any food you can turn into a paste. It is usually served on small crackers, or little pointed pieces of toasts called 'points.'

I can't really improve on that. :angel:

I see, thank you. Did not know he pâté is used for beef Wellington. Interesting. Note to self: read the recipe. I make pretty mean Chicken pâté. Unfortunately kosher goose liver is not readily available in MN. I love goose, oh well, I used to love goose. When I could have it.

Charlie we have a very large English community in Boston. As a result, some of the upscale markets carry goose for the Christmas holidays. Also, when I lived in the next town over, Chelsea, it was a Jewish city. Kosher markets on every block. You could ask and they would order a goose for you. :angel:

I have removed several posts as off topic. This thread is about Beef Wellington, nothing more.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom