Beef Wellington - to go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I want to prep a Beef Wellington to take with me on a trip. Anyone think this is possible? or should I just can the idea...

Was thinking of searing, applying all the various layers (duxelle, prosciutto/ham, etc) sealing everything up in plastic wrap. Only putting the pastry wrap on when ready to cook.

Sound ridiculous? Am I stepping over the bounds?
I will be traveling Fri. 11th. Most likely to have the beef on either Sun. or Mon.

It sure wouldn't be something I'd do. If you you'll be traveling on Fri, that means preparing it on Thurs. and serving on Sun or Mon??
Not a good idea, but just my opinion.

Last edited:
I want to prep a Beef Wellington to take with me on a trip. Anyone think this is possible? or should I just can the idea...

Was thinking of searing, applying all the various layers (duxelle, prosciutto/ham, etc) sealing everything up in plastic wrap. Only putting the pastry wrap on when ready to cook.

Sound ridiculous? Am I stepping over the bounds?
I will be traveling Fri. 11th. Most likely to have the beef on either Sun. or Mon.
If you’ve got the equipment for sous vide, that’s how I’d cook the tenderloin, then sear it afterward. Then follow your plan. Nothing gets soggy, and you only have to cook the Wellington long enough for the pastry dough to brown.

I wouldn't either. 2 to 3 days is way too long to prep ahead such a spendy cut of meat that you would want to be cooked to med rare at most. I'd also be afraid the pre-prepared wrappings (the duxelle and prosciutto) would suffer from the wait time and the reheating.

You might be able to prepare the duxelle ahead and freeze it to save some time, but not sure I'd even do that for such an elegant dish.

Sous Vide?

OK, thanks guys. - Idea shelved.

Duxelles I have done various ways and times. I have also frozen extra and keep little nuggets in the freezer. Works well.

I would never have imagined doing a Beef Tenderloin sous vide. Just spent 20 minutes down the rabbit hole checking them out.

Who here has one? How much do you use it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom