Beef Wellington w/a twist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndaW

Cook
we like our beef pink w/a wee bit of red, so making beef wellington can be tricky for me........
2 4ounce filet mignon/tenderloin steaks, cut 1" thick
3-4 assorted fresh mushrooms - for different flavors
small amount of frozen creamed spinach (you can serve the rest as a side dish)
1 package of thawed puff pastry dough...roll out w/a wee bit of flour
couple of teaspoons of Crosse & Blackwell RUM & BRANDY mincemeat filling

sautee mushrooms & spinach LET COOL and add the mincemeat -- stir

put half the mixture in the center of each puff pastry
put filet mignon on top of the mixture

bring corners of pastry uo over steak, using your fingers pinch the corners & edges together to seal completely

Because we like our steak rare I put in the fridge a couple of hours.

preheat oven to 420 F spray baking sheet with cooking spray or use parchment paper

cooking time is 20 to 30 minutes, puff pastry should be golden brown.

I think I am going to serve this with creamed spinach (left over from the beef wellington filling), and something different

Danish Browned Potatos

Lynda,

This sounds wonderful ... Yes, we too only eat our beef rare ... I had made this a few years ago for a birthday party ... It is starting to get warm, and thus, it may be put on hold ... however, I love beef wellington and thanks for posting ... I shall copy into the To Do´s ...

Taste of America in Madrid Capital should have Mince meat however, what would be a good substitute in Mediterranean countries for it -- just in case they do not have this ...

Margi. Have nice wkend.

Last edited:
we like our beef pink w/a wee bit of red, so making beef wellington can be tricky for me........
2 4ounce filet mignon/tenderloin steaks, cut 1" thick
3-4 assorted fresh mushrooms - for different flavors
small amount of frozen creamed spinach (you can serve the rest as a side dish)
1 package of thawed puff pastry dough...roll out w/a wee bit of flour
couple of teaspoons of Crosse & Blackwell RUM & BRANDY mincemeat filling

sautee mushrooms & spinach LET COOL and add the mincemeat -- stir

put half the mixture in the center of each puff pastry
put filet mignon on top of the mixture

bring corners of pastry uo over steak, using your fingers pinch the corners & edges together to seal completely

Because we like our steak rare I put in the fridge a couple of hours.

preheat oven to 420 F spray baking sheet with cooking spray or use parchment paper

cooking time is 20 to 30 minutes, puff pastry should be golden brown.

I think I am going to serve this with creamed spinach (left over from the beef wellington filling), and something different

Danish Browned Potatos
Do you sear the tenderloin before topping & wrapping it for extra flavor? What are danish browned potatoes?

Oh, my mouth is watering, and it is only 5 a.m. I've never made beef wellington, but have bought pork tenderloin and made wellington with that. It is so much more easy, because the under/over cooking issue goes away (I, too, like my beef very rare). You take the tenderloin and brown it on all sides. Then the chopped mushroom and puff pastry. By the time it is baked, the tenderloin because of its small size, is cooked to perfection, slightly pink in the middle. I leave beef to the experts.

Sunday 13.00 Hours ( 1 pm )

Claire,

Good Morning ... it is Daylight Savings time here, and just finished changing all the clocks ... and watches ... and cellular phones, computers and the big London Kitch Clock with Roman Numerals ... Had to climb up the Ladder. The Vet is working this morning ... Assisting an emergency Birthing with a baby donkey ... He shall be home just in time for lunch 14.30 hours = 2.30 pm ...

Yes, we share a common link, I love Beef Wellington too ...

I have never made it with Pork ... also can be quite tasty, I imagine.

Kindest. Have nice Sunday.
Margi.

Good morning to you as well. There is something about the very small size of a pork tenderloin (not a loin, mind you, the very skinny long piece) that just makes it very, very easy to get just right for everyone. I love my beef very rare, and trying to get something for everyone can be a pain. But that little, skinny piece of pork doesn't need much cooking to be just right, and the pastry doesn't need much cooking either. So it comes out perfectly.

Claire,

Please tell me the name of the cut of pork that you purchase ... ( thanx dear. ) It sounds like an Iberian Pork Filet Mignon cut ... Spain has lovely pork roasts and pork products as they are steeped in a pork culture ( inquisition 1492 ) ...

I normally prepare a Beef Wellington just for the Vet and I and / or the Gals, Nathalia and Naia, and their hubbies ... As they all are like us, RARE BEEF ...
It is a holiday stunner ...

I would like to try it with pork ...

Mincemeat: I have never tried this however, it sounds interesting for flavor. I love Mince meat pie !!! I shall call Taste of America and see if they have it ... Otherwise, I shall have to make it without, as I making my own mincemeat --- I do not know if I wish to do that ... too much labor ! I work !

Have a nice Sunday.

Margi.

Margi, here it is called just that, a pork tenderloin. I'll have to look it up. Here it is packaged two pieces in a wrap at most major grocery stores. They are, I believe, the end of the loin, the part that is about 3" or a little over in diameter. The tenderloins are very small, maybe 1 1/2" across, more narrow at the end, a little wider at the top. And yes, it is the filet mignon of the pig world, just bought in entirety rather than as a medalion or steak. I recommend it highly to beginner cooks when I see them at grocery stores, because they're a very quick cook and you can do a lot of fancy stuff with them in very little time. Definitely not the cheapest cut of pork, but there is no waste, it is very lean, but still tender if you don't overcook.

I had a friend, once upon a time, who lived in Turkey, with a Muslim husband. Whenever she visited us (in those days, in Hawaii or Virginia), what she wanted was pork (she was from a part of the US that is real pork country). This was my go-to thing to make for her because it cooks very quickly and can take just about every preparation you can think of. I always cook it whole, whether I'm putting it over coals or doing it in a frying pan, then slice on the diagonal and put whatever juices from the pan or sauce or .. nothing (if on the grill). It takes to the wellington so well because of the timing. If you have guests who won't eat rare anything, this comes out perfectly in the time it takes for the puff pastry to cook.

Last edited:
Pork tenderloin is the same part of the pig as the beef tenderloin is on a cow/steer.

It is the piece from which filet mignon is cut.

Tax Lady,

Thanks for your assistance ... I always go over all with my Butcher and Fish Monger first .. This way, there are NO mistakes ... They always enjoy hearing about my recipes ... The Beef Wellington with Pork Tenderlion shall be quite a TOPIC !!! They know me many years, and are nice gents. They know customer service and product ... the 2 essentials.

Okay ... until tomorrow.
Margi.

Do you sear the tenderloin before topping & wrapping it for extra flavor? What are danish browned potatoes?

Simonbaker, NO I don't sear the beef, although I do sprinkle a wee bit of flour over it.
Next time I make this I am going to use a extra thin layer of pastry over the part that holds the filling, then wrap the large piece of pastry dough around the entire filet.

Danish Browned potatos are really good. I posted the recipe.
Tiny white peeled,cooked potatos. Drain & let cool off completely. Large fry pan add white sugar, med heat until cooked, then add butter...stir. Add cool potatos and coat the potatos with syrupy like mixture....adjusting the heat to keep the mixture syrupy. Really very good for a special dinner...wouldn't want them everyday. Serve in a pretty serving bowl & chopped fresh parsley

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom