Best beef cut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McAwesome

Assistant Cook
There was some festival in town and everyone in town got a cut of beef to do whatever they want with it. So my family's cut was very... Rubbery. I trimmed the fat and cooked it nicely but it was like chewing gum. So, I want to know what's the best part of beef. And along with that, how to make sure the beef isn't like rubber.

do you know what cut your family got? how did you cook it?

there's lots if different cuts of beef, each with various methods of preparation in order to ensure that it will be tender and flavourful. need more info.

I don't know. They mushed multiple cuts together so I can't tell.

Today's cut however, I can identify as a rib.

Anyway you said that you have cook it perfectly and it still taste rubbery, one of the cuts that actually came into my mind was tender chucks. This part ofMeat is best for braising instead. So instead of pan-fried it , make it into a stew

There was some festival in town and everyone in town got a cut of beef to do whatever they want with it. So my family's cut was very... Rubbery. I trimmed the fat and cooked it nicely but it was like chewing gum. So, I want to know what's the best part of beef. And along with that, how to make sure the beef isn't like rubber.

Yes, try braising it.

The "best" cut of beef is so esoteric it is ridiculous. It all depends on what you are going to do with it. If you're just going to stick it under the broiler or over the coals and sear it, you want to pay the big bucks for a filet mignon, a porterhouse, a T-bone, etc. This is what you do if you want rare. If you are going to long-cook it, then you go for the tougher cuts with more sinew. And you don't take off ALL the fat, leave some on. To me, lean meat sometimes means tough meat. My latest "favorite" is something called a Flat Iron Steak (I think related to chuck?). I beat the living daylights out of it, then either marinade or dry rub it. Sometimes I slice it thin before sort of stir frying. The cut you buy depends on what you are going to do with it. I'd never put an expensive cut, for example, in Bouef Bourgonion, chili, etc; something I'm cooking all day. There is more flavor in more inexpensive cuts, and when you're through, they will be tender.

Right-o. The most flavorful cuts will be notoriously tough if you treat them like ribeye. Conversely, if you cook one of those expensive cuts in the same way as a braising cut, it will also have poor texture and no flavor, a very poor thing compared to the perfectly done rare example. As above, flatiron steak, skirt, etc. is fabulous marinated (in dark beer....um!), pan fried and sliced thin. Fajitas, for instance, cooked that way, are not at all tough. Treat those wrong, and you can use them for shoe soles. The cheapest, like shoulder, braises to a wonderful flavor (and very tender) when done right.

Back
Top Bottom