Best cut for roast beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiggerbengal

Assistant Cook
What is the best cut for a nice roast beef? I made a spiral ham for Christmas for hubby & me, and enjoyed having the leftovers. So, I thought it would be nice to cook a roast beef. I wont be using my crockpot, so what is a good one for the oven?

Any suggestions? ;)

Tender Roast Beef

I just buy a cheap cut - the longer it cooks the more tender it becomes. I don't recall the name of the cut - just that it's a cheap one! LOL

Sometimes I cook my roast in a pot on the stove (cover with water, add veggies, salt, pepper, garlic, etc.) for 3 or so hours. I sear on all sides first.

Or I'll put in an oven bag with mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup and about 1/4 cup sherry (I can't remember now if I add some water too) then bake for about 3 hours.

Best beef for roasting

Standing rib or any rib roast, pierced with garlic and rubbed with kosher salt- yuum! Not very innovative but I've never tasted better

it depends if you want a pot roast type, or an oven roasted type. for a post roast, I just use a big ol' chuck roast. if you want to oven roast it, then a bone-in rib roast works the best, in terms of flavor and tenderness.

I bought a tri-tip roast, I think? Now I cant remember, but its one of the more tender cuts. I plan on making it for dinner on Sunday. Which do you think would turn out better? Crock pot or Oven? I've only used my crock pot once.

First, different cuts are called different things depending on your location. HERE a tri-tip is a cut that requires braising to achieve tenderness. Thus...break out that crockpot!

tiggerbengal said:
I bought a tri-tip roast, I think? Now I cant remember, but its one of the more tender cuts. I plan on making it for dinner on Sunday. Which do you think would turn out better? Crock pot or Oven? I've only used my crock pot once.

I agree with Iron Chef. My mom uses her crockpot for tri-tip - browns it first and then adds the old reliable dry onion soup mix and a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. (Turns out great for unbuckle-your- belt comfort food). I would add a little red wine but maybe that's just my excuse for uncorking another bottle!

Cross-Rib or Standing Rib

In my books the best oven roasts have bones in them. For an inexpensive delicious meal for two or three I often buy a small Cross-Rib roast, and cover it copiously with garlic salt and pepper. Delicious and inexpensive. I use a high heat method, cook it at 500 until the center temperature reaches *130, then let it stand for about 15 minutes. If I am having more people over, I'll purchase a three or more rib Standing Rib or Prime Rib, and use a modified high heat method - 500 for 45 minutes. Lower the heat to 325 for about half an hour, then turn it up to 450 until the internal temp reaches *130, usually about another 15 - 30 minutes. I use an instant read thermometer to get the temp right every time. That or a probe take the guess work out. I have found that a roast can sit quite happily on the counter wrapped in tin foil for a fair amount of time if other things need cooking, like Yorkshire Puddings.

*medium towards rare

Kiteking has uncovered the secret of perfect roast beef........Yorkshire puddings! I roasted a piece of topside the other day, not my favourite cut, but on sale at the supermarket, studded with garlic, cooked on a bed of onions with a bit of red wine, and a splash of brandy. It turned out nice, and we are now eating cold beef sandwiches. I made Yorkshire puddings and they actually worked, mine usually look like pancakes!

Clotted cream is divine! Especially with scones and strawberry jam. In Cornwall I had clotted cream ice cream........amazingly good!

ok, i finally looked at it. it's a sirloin tip roast. are these just as good? :?: I have had it in the freezer since New Year's eve. Do I need to thaw it out first, or just stick it in the oven? Sorry for all the questions. I rarely cook, and I want it to turn out good, and so that my husband will like it. :LOL:

a sirloin tip roast is ok, it doesn't have nearly as high a fat content as a rib roast, so it won't be as tender using the same techniques. you would want to defrost it completely before cooking it, and i would recommed using your dutch oven or crockpot and either braising it on top of the stove, or in the oven. you can do a search on google for some good braised beef or pot roast recipes, they are probably one of the most common around

Back
Top Bottom