"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Best odds to reverse sear a T-Bone?

Got a tad over an 1lb T-bone which is approx 1" thick that I want to cook medium rare. Want to throw it in the oven and cook until a certain temp then sear it on high heat in a cast iron pan on both side and have it be done.

My questions are:
What temp do I have my oven, 250f?
What temp should I aim for to remove the steak from the oven, 100f?
Where do I take the temp measurement, center of the filet side or sirloin side?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Bump!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Reverse Sear Ribeyes
Old 11-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Oven Temp --- 250*-300*
Remove about 15* below your target final desired temperature -- Allow for 5* Climb in temperature during rest period.
If 140* is your medium rare target temperature --- In the oven to 125* --- Sear to 135* Rest to 140* --- Numbers are for illustration --- not an exact science!
Test for doneness in the loin and the filet is what I would do ---

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Tried it...I guess there's simply no easy way to cook a T-bone and have both sides cook to the same doneness. You're better off to separate and cook individually...
Old 11-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The loin side always seems to come out more rare when I grill a T bone or porterhouse. I don't think I would have tried RS with a 1" steak anyway, but that's me. I don't remember the original thread exactly..... I know it said something about turning the steak into a more tender cut, or more tender at finish time because the temp was easier to control? You could probably search the thread down. It kind of sprouted into dry brining before all was said and done (lol).
I did it on a 2" thick ribeye a short time back and it came out great, but I used the grill the whole way. Probably close to the temps UB gave, because I used his experience with doing a RS before I attempted mine. It was extremely tender and done just the way I like it, pink all the way through (there's a pic under the grilling (?) forum).
All that said, I don't think I've ever cooked a steak with a bone in it in a pan and had it look the way I wanted it to. The bone doesn't let the meat contact the pan correctly, IMO.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef

For a poor boy like me (who uses a Weber kettle grill, lump charcoal, and no fancy thermometer), reverse sear is most useful when I broil steaks way (13 min for 1 ”) in the covered kettle and complete the char broil with an uncovered grill to the point where the meat has shrunken to about 75% of its original thickness and is a bit charred. I like my beef tender, juicy and a little bit better cooked than black and blue.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Ya, the other thing I thought about was I have an electric flat/glass top stove...I thought about keeping the skillet 50% over the burner and 50% off the burner...Then put the loin of the tbone over the burner side of the pan...But it would probably effect the appearance...

In the future, perhaps I'll cook the loin, filet and bone all separately. Once they're done, put them all back to together and serve...Maybe I'll impress my guests when they question why the bone isn't attached...I'll say: "Ever hear of fall off the bone ribs? This is fall off the bone steak" :D

Tags
None