"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

did you ever have a lamb and beef burger? about a 70/30 ratio does the trick, respectively. it's especially good for people who kinda like lamb, but not when it's too gamey.

my second fave is ground bison, third would be 85% ground chuck. occasionally, i'll douse my burgers with maggi sauce instead of just salt. i know it's msg, but i'm not sensitive to it so it adds flavour.

and lately, we've become addicted to boursin cheese on top. mmmmmm, boursin burgers.

the only way i'll eat a turkey burger is if you add breadcrumbs, milk, grated locatelli, savory, parsley, and ketchup. that's pretty much my turkey meatball recipe, so it doesn't seem right to call it a burger.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Lamb sounds good. It reminds me of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. If you want to see some interesting burgers watch the show or check it out on you tube.

I think it was Joes Gizzard City where Guy made a hamburger then deep fried the whole thing, bun, tomato, everything. Said it was real good and I think they added it to the menu called the DDD(triple D)

Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
Executive Chef

The most important recipe in a hamburger is the quality of the ground beef. The quality varies from vendor to vendor. A good supplier is one that consistently supplies ground beef that is satisfactory to you. It pays to shop around untill you find one. We patronized a nearby butcher for 5 or 6 years and were quite satisfied despite their somewhat higher price. However early last year the staffing and possibly the ownership changed and the quality (taste, texture and greasiness) but not price their ground beef deteriorated. After 3 or 4 such happenings over a period of 6 months we switched to another vendor.
Years back while working in a commissary I used to operate a hamburger forming machine. The meat fed through this machine came in 50 lb boxes containing two 25 lb bags. The aroma from bag to bag of this meat was far from consistent.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Head Chef

I have always added garlic salt & pepper until I saw once on TV a chef added lil water to his hamburg. salt & pepper and that was it. . I tried it his way and it was the juicy burger and tasty. only make it that way now.

I love to make 2 thin patties then on one in the middle put either some blu cheese, or salsa, or mushrooms, or a slice of tomato , or cheese, then put the other pattie on top and seal the edges. grill it or pan fry --- delious.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Fresh ground chuck....S&P.....Charcoal Grill.
Exactly! 85% ground chuck pressed to a relatively thin/large diameter disc (it will contract a bit to bun-diameter and thicken - I hate the thumb in the middle technique). Then cooked over charcoal/wood to medium-well - just a touch of pink. A buttered Kaiser roll that is grilled to crispiness.

Then condiments as one chooses.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #16
Executive Chef

been using ground chevon for hamburgers for about 33 years, they make excellent tasting burgers....usually only add s&p and diced onion and garlic, and olive oil, must add oil because the meat is so lean
Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
did you ever have a lamb and beef burger? about a 70/30 ratio does the trick, respectively. it's especially good for people who kinda like lamb, but not when it's too gamey.
Lamb? Where do you get ground lamb? Do you have to grind it yourself?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Our market carries ground lamb in 1 pound tubs prepackaged from the processor. They store sticks a price tag on it and puts it out for sale.

You can always grab a pack of lamb stew meat and ask for it to be ground for you.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
Mr. Greenjeans

I do a 75/25 mix of beef and pork occationally. It depends on what I am in the mood for. Lately I have been making chicken burgers which are 75% ground chicken breast and 25% veggies. They are good but they aren't truly a burger.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #20
Everymom

OK, so here is me admitting that I'm a lazy burger girl. I go to the store and I buy the big angus burgers preshaped and frozen and I slap them on the barbie.

I used to make my own burgers and freeze them. Taking much care and attention to seasoning them beautifully and making sure they were "just right". My youngest daughter informed me they were not as good as the burgers from her friends house. I asked...frozen burgers. We've been doing the frozen ones ever since.

Having said that though, I am starting to feel inspired in the kitchen again and the idea of ground lamb sparked my interest. I think I'll see if I can get some and give it a go. Wish me luck.

Tags
None