Best recipe for burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another lamb (& goat) burger fan here!! Most of the markets around here carry ground lamb in 1# packages, but unfortunately my local (as in a farm just a few miles away) source for organic ground goat meat is, alas, no more (sniff, sniff).

Here's my own favorite recipe for lamb burgers:

BREEZY GREEK LAMB BURGERS

1 pound ground lamb
Approx. ¼-1/2 cup chopped red onion
Approx. 12 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
Approx. ½-3/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese (plus extra for topping if desired)
Approx. ½-1 tablespoon dried oregano
Approx. 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
Approx. 10-20 “grinds” of coarse black pepper (to taste)
Approx. 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Creamy Feta salad dressing (optional)
Baby Arugula for topping (optional)
Toasted crusty rolls (optional)

Using your hands, combine all ingredients (except for Creamy Feta salad dressing & Arugula) thoroughly. Form into 2 large or 4 small patties, making the centers a little thinner than the edges to help prevent the sometimes inevitable “burger bulge” that can occur during cooking.

Broil, grill, or pan-fry to desired doneness. Serve on toasted crusty rolls topped with Creamy Feta salad dressing & baby Arugula, or – especially if making the larger patties – serve plated minus the rolls with a nice mixed green salad on the side.

Notes: No salt is needed in or on these burgers, as that’s pretty well taken care of by both the Feta cheese & the Kalamata olives. There are several commercial brands of Creamy Feta salad dressing available, both shelf-bottled & jar-refrigerated, & the ones I’ve tried so far have been quite tasty & versatile. The one I used here was put out by Trader Joe’s.

Attachments

• Breezy Greek Lamb Burger 1.jpg
    Breezy Greek Lamb Burger 1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 212
The simpler the better in my book. I do not know the procentage of fat to the other part, but 80-85% sounds about right. And some seasoning: garlic slat, paprika, cayne pepper.

I'll start off by saying, HOLY MOLY, NOW I WANT A BURGER!

I used a recipe that called for one egg blended into the meat mixture...along with some other seasons...then a splat of butter was pressed into the patty and then cooked either in a pan or on a grill.

And I must say....DEEEEEEEELISH.

Another lamb (& goat) burger fan here!! Most of the markets around here carry ground lamb in 1# packages, but unfortunately my local (as in a farm just a few miles away) source for organic ground goat meat is, alas, no more (sniff, sniff).

1 pound ground lamb

Using your hands, combine all ingredients (except for Creamy Feta salad dressing & Arugula) thoroughly. Form into 2 large or 4 small patties, making the centers a little thinner than the edges to help prevent the sometimes inevitable “burger bulge” that can occur during cooking.

Broil, grill, or pan-fry to desired doneness. Serve on toasted crusty rolls topped with Creamy Feta salad dressing & baby Arugula, or – especially if making the larger patties – serve plated minus the rolls with a nice mixed green salad on the side.

Notes: No salt is needed in or on these burgers, as that’s pretty well taken care of by both the Feta cheese & the Kalamata olives. There are several commercial brands of Creamy Feta salad dressing available, both shelf-bottled & jar-refrigerated, & the ones I’ve tried so far have been quite tasty & versatile. The one I used here was put out by Trader Joe’s.

That sounds like an awesome recipe!!!! gonna do it this summer

years ago my granmother made the most amazing burgers in the pan. I found out the secret and tried it although these days it is not a healthy choice. She fried them in shmaltz!!! chicken fat. Really makes things taste great!!! but kills you too lol

Lamb? Where do you get ground lamb? Do you have to grind it yourself?

yep, as was mentioned, ground lamb is readily for sale around here. i can even choose my own cut of halal lamb or goat, then have it ground at the middle eastern markets nearby.

lol about being lazy with burgers. when dw buys the pre-formed hocky pucks of beef, i like to take 2 of them and stuff them with cheeses, sealing the edges to make 1 big honkin burger.

lol about being lazy with burgers. when dw buys the pre-formed hocky pucks of beef, i like to take 2 of them and stuff them with cheeses, sealing the edges to make 1 big honkin burger.

Holy mother! That would be a HUGE burger. The frozen ones we buy are nearly an inch thick and don't reduce that much. I'd hurl if I tried to eat 2 of those! I am not worthy my friend.

You must have access to some pretty good frozen burgers Alix. The ones i see around here are thin like fast food burgers.

I use 75% to 80% beef. I season with onion powder, garlic powder, smoked spanish paprika, celery salt, fresh ground black pepper, and worcestire sauce. For those that like heat I sometimes add a little cayenne. Occasionally I take a tip from kitchenelf and include some horseradish.

You must have access to some pretty good frozen burgers Alix. The ones i see around here are thin like fast food burgers.

I live in the land of BEEF! And yep, they are really good most of the time. Thick as heck though. I went and measured after I posted and they are exactly 1 inch thick. Angus beef, and hardly any shrinkage. :ROFLMAO:

This is what most of the frozen ones I see look like.

Attachments

• burgers.jpg
    burgers.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 247
This is as close as I can get to a picture of what I have. Mine are wavy edged like these, but thicker.

Attachments

• Angus-Patties.jpg
    Angus-Patties.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 180

1 pound ground lamb

I'll have to try this one.
I do a lamb burger with cumin, cayenne(not much), coriander and mint. I top it with some fresh tzaziki sauce. Two parts Greek yogurt, one part sour cream, some shredded cucumber, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper then top with a nice slice of tomato

What is the size of that pan, Alix?

I hate frozen burgers, here they are just disgusting, brrrr

Not my pan Charlie, but at a guess I'd go with 13in across the bottom, but likely much larger measuring edge to edge on top.

My burgers are pretty basic. Ground chuck, S&P, grilled medium rare, (please don't call the food police) topped with pepper jack cheese, roasted poblanos, raw onion, served on a toasted kaiser roll spread with mayo.

I hate frozen burgers, here they are just disgusting, brrrr.

I don't like frozen burgers either. I bought "Bubba Burgers" , they were recommended in another forum I read. I didn't like them as a sandwich, too tough. But they make wonderful Hamburger Steaks with Onions and Gravy!!
As far as burger for sandwiches, I use at the most 80% lean. Other wise they are too dry. I also don't add to or season in anyway. I leave that up to the person eating it. Other wise it is like grilling "Meatloaf disks"!!!

This thread inspired tonights dinner! I was going to grab a couple of Whoppers for the family for dinner, then I started thinking that for that money I could buy some ground beef and kaiser rolls. So that is what I did. I mixed up some S&P and worcestershire and grilled made cheeseburgers stuffed with cheese and bacon, brushed the rolls with butter, and grilled them too. I put vidalia onion, tomato, and lettuce on mine. My wife said I need to open a restaurant!

im a fan of gorgonzola or blue cheese on my burgers. i found that a1 is a great condiment also.

I have to brag. Yeterday I made burgers and had 8 teenage girls for diner, one of them was vegitarian, she saw everybody eating burgers and loving it, so she decided to try. She had a whole burger and though she did say she probably will not do it again, but it was good. She is not against meat but rather against eating anymals.

I ground fresh chuck, form the patties sprikle a mixture of garlic salt (1 part), paprika (1 part), cayne pepper (1/8 part) and brown sugar(1/8 part). Did have a lot of condements to choose from. My personal favorite sauteed mushrooms and onions.

Back
Top Bottom