"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Cook

Best recipe for burgers

I remember once ordering a burger at a golf club and it had the most amazing flavour. It wasn;t what was mixed with the beef after years of experimenting. I now am convinced it must have has 2 meats combined....possibly some pork. It was so good you did not need condiments.

Since then I have found with beef burgers the less you put in the better they are. We arenow down to adding simply some garlic a little worscester and pepper.

What have you guys found to be a good tasting burger and if you do mix 2 meats, which have you tried?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I keep it basic. 85% ground beef and some seasoned salt.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Head Chef

I do an 80-20, and i'm a purist, nothing but kosher salt and freshly ground pepper on both sides... SO GOOD...
Old 04-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Fresh ground chuck....S&P.....Charcoal Grill.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Master Chef

I'm not sure what it was made from. But I gotta think it was 85/15 ground sirloin. It was served medium rare on a fresh kaiser roll and tasted like I was eating a well prepared steak. The flavor was intensely beef, grass or corn fed. The meat was very juicy, seasoned lightly with salt and grilled over flame. This came from a little sit-down restaurant, very informal, with freshly cut and made french fries, all in Olympia Wa. I haven't had a burger before or since that has been as good, or memorable. Though my best burgers are done over charcoal, with 80/20 ground chuck, seasoned with S & P, cooked with the lid closed on my Webber Kettle.

Wish I could duplicate that restaurant burger.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I'm not sure what it was made from. But I gotta think it was 85/15 ground sirloin. It was served medium rare on a fresh kaiser roll and tasted like I was eating a well prepared steak. The flavor was intensely beef, grass or corn fed. The meat was very juicy, seasoned lightly with salt and grilled over flame. This came from a little sit-down restaurant, very informal, with freshly cut and made french fries, all in Olympia Wa. I haven't had a burger before or since that has been as good, or memorable. Though my best burgers are done over charcoal, with 80/20 ground chuck, seasoned with S & P, cooked with the lid closed on my Webber Kettle.

Wish I could duplicate that restaurant burger.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Seriously why must you tease me at this late hour...
Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Mix'n chuck and sirloin is good, but you may need to add more fat, pork fat.

We are the same, ground chuck 80/20, k.salt(only salt I buy) and a mix of course and fine ground blk pepper. I usually add just a bit of worchest to wet the meat before adding the salt/pepper. Both sides, too.

Lump charcoal or do them on a smoker. They don't dry out, may take 1/2 hr, but ya get a nice little smoke flavor. But, I really like use'n the smoker for most everything. Once in a while pull out the weber OTSilver, to get my fire fix.

Could have been all in the beef. Some taste better than others, happens to us anyway. NO, don't blame me for bad burgers, they are always good.

Keep practice'n, that is the fun part.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Two tablespoons of slightly warm bacon grease drizzled over each pound of 80/20 ground chuck and then hand mixed with a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

The bun must be grilled face down until toasted and the top of the top bun just lightly brushed with melted butter in order to give it a shiny appearance.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I've been trying all kind of different mixtures til I get the "perfect" burger. So far the best was equal parts brisket, sirloin and chuck short ribs ground fresh and grilled or griddled med-rare with only S&P for seasoning
Old 04-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I like to use 97 / 7 ground round. I add light olive oil to replace the missing fat (not extra virgin because the flavor is too strong) soy sauce, and just a small amount of bread crumbs. The oil adds juciness, the soy adds salt and depth, the bread crumbs add tenderness.

Some days, we're in the mood for a truly greasy, drippy burger so I just add more olive oil.

Guilt free (kind of) and delicious.

Tags
None