"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Very good idea, thanks! I think thisíd work better for me, though. Since Markís salads may be kept in the fridge for a couple of days, I think itís better that the ingredients remain separate until itís time to eat. Plus making the salad or sandwich can be part of his occupational therapy
Good point. This page has lots of good ideas for variations, though.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

NY strip, tenderloin , flank, skirt will all work for a salad.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Mark and I had a bit of a falling out last night. He called me at 11:30 pm and complained that he was hungry, and wanted me to go out to some fast food place to get him a snack. In a thunderstorm. After a long day at work. And I hadnít even eaten yet. Anyway, thatís between us.

I thought it would be a good thing if I filled a leftover container with some salad greens, another couple filled with dressings, and a a couple of ziplock bags with proteins. Iíll pull out the Anova and make some poached chicken for one, but Iíd like to fill another with steak, cooked medium rare and sliced very thin, that can be served cold.

I donít cook or eat meat very often, so Iím not sure what the best cut of meat would be for such an application. Iíd imagine one thatís not too fatty, and since itíll be very thinly sliced, a cheaper cut would work well, but Iím just guessing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Iím really over midnight runs to Jack-in-the-Box! And Markís gonna be in hospital until at least midweek, and then in an inpatient rehab center for about two weeks!
Am I missing something here? He's in hospital and you have to take food in to him! Even the National Health Service over here hasn't fallen that low!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This is in addition to what he is served in the hospital.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Am I missing something here? He's in hospital and you have to take food in to him! Even the National Health Service over here hasn't fallen that low!
The food at the hospital is probably nutritious enough, but it's not the most interesting. The longer the stay, the less appealing it becomes.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:08 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
No, I don’t have to take him food, I want to, because I want him to eat in order to speed his recovery, and the food the hospital provides is reminiscent of high school cafeteria food. His schedule is way off because of the meds, too, so more often than not he’s asleep when they bring in his tray, and they remove it if he appears to be asleep, and hasn’t touched the meal. Cost is also a consideration; I can supply a lot more food for seven bucks than Mickey D’s!. (Quarter Pounder w/Cheese and a Coke ala carte = $7.00 or very close.)l

So, in order to keep my late night food forays to the bare minimum (um, that’s be none, in my mind), I cook and deliver. And I love cooking, too, so win-win. As long as I make quantities that will be good over a few days, my “work load” is much less. I can deliver on my schedule, not his. Mostly, I want him to recover.

Sorry to go on. The hospital, as I’ve commented on, does feed him. I feed him better - he eats what I make!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The food at the hospital is probably nutritious enough, but it's not the most interesting. The longer the stay, the less appealing it becomes.
You’re a very kind food critic! I remember actually being served Lean Quisine! There was a menu, I remember and it listed some Thai noodle dish, probably pad Thai or an Americanized version. The menu didn’t mention that it would be delivered in the original, microwaveable tray! Hospital food is awful at its very best!
Old 07-16-2018, 04:02 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Youíre a very kind food critic! I remember actually being served Lean Quisine! There was a menu, I remember and it listed some Thai noodle dish, probably pad Thai or an Americanized version. The menu didnít mention that it would be delivered in the original, microwaveable tray! Hospital food is awful at its very best!
Yuck. The one time I stayed in a hospital as an adult (in Montreal), the food was okay, but mostly not very appealing. I was only in for a few days, but I was really tired of overcooked vegis and uninterestingly cooked meat by the time I got to go home.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Youíre a very kind food critic! I remember actually being served Lean Quisine! There was a menu, I remember and it listed some Thai noodle dish, probably pad Thai or an Americanized version. The menu didnít mention that it would be delivered in the original, microwaveable tray! Hospital food is awful at its very best!
Exactly.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #20
Master Chef

I've always used top sirloin.

When I was eating salad every day I would buy a whole bunch of those Starkist tuna pouches at the 99Ę Only store. They have at least 15 different flavours

Tags
salad, steak