"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
Head Chef

Best Steak for Cold Salad

Mark and I had a bit of a falling out last night. He called me at 11:30 pm and complained that he was hungry, and wanted me to go out to some fast food place to get him a snack. In a thunderstorm. After a long day at work. And I hadnít even eaten yet. Anyway, thatís between us.

I thought it would be a good thing if I filled a leftover container with some salad greens, another couple filled with dressings, and a a couple of ziplock bags with proteins. Iíll pull out the Anova and make some poached chicken for one, but Iíd like to fill another with steak, cooked medium rare and sliced very thin, that can be served cold.

I donít cook or eat meat very often, so Iím not sure what the best cut of meat would be for such an application. Iíd imagine one thatís not too fatty, and since itíll be very thinly sliced, a cheaper cut would work well, but Iím just guessing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Iím really over midnight runs to Jack-in-the-Box! And Markís gonna be in hospital until at least midweek, and then in an inpatient rehab center for about two weeks!

Old 07-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

New York strip is my favorite cut - it's tender and flavorful without too much fat and I love the leftovers on salad.

Another thing you can make is an Asian-style noodle or rice bowl with a dressing in a separate container. Noodles, veggies and cold cooked chicken, pork or beef is refreshing and delicious.

As an aside, as one who has been a patient many times, try not to take his frustration personally. He's been through a lot lately, with the stroke and now the broken hip. Living in hospitals and rehab centers is no fun. Being a caregiver is difficult, too, so this is a tough time for you both. Just understand that moments of frustration are bound to happen, but the important thing is helping him get better and come home. Take care.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
New York strip is my favorite cut - it's tender and flavorful without too much fat.

Another thing you can make is an Asian-style noodle or rice bowl with a dressing in a separate container. Noodles, veggies and cold cooked chicken, pork or beef is refreshing and delicious.

As an aside, as one who has been a patient many times, try not to take his frustration personally. He's been through a lot lately, with the stroke and now the broken hip. Living in hospitals and rehab centers is no fun. Being a caregiver is difficult, too, so this is a tough time for you both. Just understand that moments of frustration are bound to happen, but the important thing is helping him get better and come home. Take care.
Thanks! I’ll pick one up at the grocery after my shift tonight. Just sear it in a cast iron pan?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

You are on the right train of thought about not wanting a fatty cut in a steak salad. In mine I like marbled meat but not fatty. Strip steak is a good choice.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
You are on the right train of thought about not wanting a fatty cut in a steak salad. In mine I like marbled meat but not fatty. Strip steak is a good choice.
So far, that’s two for strip steak!
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

These Mason jar salads would work well, too. Make several at a time; they'll keep all week. I'd also suggest bringing him some favorite seasonings to jazz up the institutional food he's getting.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkyls...bQ#.guDVJ0NvV3
Old 07-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
So far, thatís two for strip steak!
I'll chime in, too. That's what we had for dinner last night. The small remainder will be part of the toppings on tonight's dinner salads.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
These Mason jar salads would work well, too. Make several at a time; they'll keep all week. I'd also suggest bringing him some favorite seasonings to jazz up the institutional food he's getting.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkyls...bQ#.guDVJ0NvV3
Very good idea, thanks! I think this’d work better for me, though. Since Mark’s salads may be kept in the fridge for a couple of days, I think it’s better that the ingredients remain separate until it’s time to eat. Plus making the salad or sandwich can be part of his occupational therapy
Old 07-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'll chime in, too. That's what we had for dinner last night. The small remainder will be part of the toppings on tonight's dinner salads.
This is turning into a survey, lol! That’s three for New York strip. Unanimous, so far.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

+4 NY Strip is my favorite cut.
Also boneless sirloin is good.

msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
salad, steak