Best Steak for Cold Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Mark and I had a bit of a falling out last night. He called me at 11:30 pm and complained that he was hungry, and wanted me to go out to some fast food place to get him a snack. In a thunderstorm. After a long day at work. And I hadn’t even eaten yet. Anyway, that’s between us.

I thought it would be a good thing if I filled a leftover container with some salad greens, another couple filled with dressings, and a a couple of ziplock bags with proteins. I’ll pull out the Anova and make some poached chicken for one, but I’d like to fill another with steak, cooked medium rare and sliced very thin, that can be served cold.

I don’t cook or eat meat very often, so I’m not sure what the best cut of meat would be for such an application. I’d imagine one that’s not too fatty, and since it’ll be very thinly sliced, a cheaper cut would work well, but I’m just guessing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m really over midnight runs to Jack-in-the-Box! And Mark’s gonna be in hospital until at least midweek, and then in an inpatient rehab center for about two weeks!

New York strip is my favorite cut - it's tender and flavorful without too much fat and I love the leftovers on salad.

Another thing you can make is an Asian-style noodle or rice bowl with a dressing in a separate container. Noodles, veggies and cold cooked chicken, pork or beef is refreshing and delicious.

As an aside, as one who has been a patient many times, try not to take his frustration personally. He's been through a lot lately, with the stroke and now the broken hip. Living in hospitals and rehab centers is no fun. Being a caregiver is difficult, too, so this is a tough time for you both. Just understand that moments of frustration are bound to happen, but the important thing is helping him get better and come home. Take care.

Last edited:
New York strip is my favorite cut - it's tender and flavorful without too much fat.

Another thing you can make is an Asian-style noodle or rice bowl with a dressing in a separate container. Noodles, veggies and cold cooked chicken, pork or beef is refreshing and delicious.

As an aside, as one who has been a patient many times, try not to take his frustration personally. He's been through a lot lately, with the stroke and now the broken hip. Living in hospitals and rehab centers is no fun. Being a caregiver is difficult, too, so this is a tough time for you both. Just understand that moments of frustration are bound to happen, but the important thing is helping him get better and come home. Take care.
Thanks! I’ll pick one up at the grocery after my shift tonight. Just sear it in a cast iron pan?

You are on the right train of thought about not wanting a fatty cut in a steak salad. In mine I like marbled meat but not fatty. Strip steak is a good choice.

These Mason jar salads would work well, too. Make several at a time; they'll keep all week. I'd also suggest bringing him some favorite seasonings to jazz up the institutional food he's getting.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/mason-jar-salads?utm_term=.ypKbYq13bQ#.guDVJ0NvV3
Very good idea, thanks! I think this’d work better for me, though. Since Mark’s salads may be kept in the fridge for a couple of days, I think it’s better that the ingredients remain separate until it’s time to eat. Plus making the salad or sandwich can be part of his occupational therapy ;)

+4 NY Strip is my favorite cut.
Also boneless sirloin is good.

Very good idea, thanks! I think this’d work better for me, though. Since Mark’s salads may be kept in the fridge for a couple of days, I think it’s better that the ingredients remain separate until it’s time to eat. Plus making the salad or sandwich can be part of his occupational therapy ;)
Good point. This page has lots of good ideas for variations, though.

Mark and I had a bit of a falling out last night. He called me at 11:30 pm and complained that he was hungry, and wanted me to go out to some fast food place to get him a snack. In a thunderstorm. After a long day at work. And I hadn’t even eaten yet. Anyway, that’s between us.

I thought it would be a good thing if I filled a leftover container with some salad greens, another couple filled with dressings, and a a couple of ziplock bags with proteins. I’ll pull out the Anova and make some poached chicken for one, but I’d like to fill another with steak, cooked medium rare and sliced very thin, that can be served cold.

I don’t cook or eat meat very often, so I’m not sure what the best cut of meat would be for such an application. I’d imagine one that’s not too fatty, and since it’ll be very thinly sliced, a cheaper cut would work well, but I’m just guessing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m really over midnight runs to Jack-in-the-Box! And Mark’s gonna be in hospital until at least midweek, and then in an inpatient rehab center for about two weeks!
Am I missing something here? He's in hospital and you have to take food in to him! Even the National Health Service over here hasn't fallen that low!

Am I missing something here? He's in hospital and you have to take food in to him! Even the National Health Service over here hasn't fallen that low!
The food at the hospital is probably nutritious enough, but it's not the most interesting. The longer the stay, the less appealing it becomes.

No, I don’t have to take him food, I want to, because I want him to eat in order to speed his recovery, and the food the hospital provides is reminiscent of high school cafeteria food. His schedule is way off because of the meds, too, so more often than not he’s asleep when they bring in his tray, and they remove it if he appears to be asleep, and hasn’t touched the meal. Cost is also a consideration; I can supply a lot more food for seven bucks than Mickey D’s!. (Quarter Pounder w/Cheese and a Coke ala carte = $7.00 or very close.)l

So, in order to keep my late night food forays to the bare minimum (um, that’s be none, in my mind), I cook and deliver. And I love cooking, too, so win-win. As long as I make quantities that will be good over a few days, my “work load” is much less. I can deliver on my schedule, not his. Mostly, I want him to recover.

Sorry to go on. The hospital, as I’ve commented on, does feed him. I feed him better - he eats what I make!

Last edited:
The food at the hospital is probably nutritious enough, but it's not the most interesting. The longer the stay, the less appealing it becomes.
You’re a very kind food critic! I remember actually being served Lean Quisine! There was a menu, I remember and it listed some Thai noodle dish, probably pad Thai or an Americanized version. The menu didn’t mention that it would be delivered in the original, microwaveable tray! Hospital food is awful at its very best!

You’re a very kind food critic! I remember actually being served Lean Quisine! There was a menu, I remember and it listed some Thai noodle dish, probably pad Thai or an Americanized version. The menu didn’t mention that it would be delivered in the original, microwaveable tray! Hospital food is awful at its very best!
Yuck. The one time I stayed in a hospital as an adult (in Montreal), the food was okay, but mostly not very appealing. I was only in for a few days, but I was really tired of overcooked vegis and uninterestingly cooked meat by the time I got to go home.

Exactly.

I've always used top sirloin.

When I was eating salad every day I would buy a whole bunch of those Starkist tuna pouches at the 99¢ Only store. They have at least 15 different flavours

Back
Top Bottom