"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Old 03-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Head Chef
Best way to cook Beef Rib Steak?

OK, I am going to fix this cut of meat for my boyfriend tonight. The problem is that I don't cook steak too often and don't have a grill. I was thinking about serving it with a little basil pesto on top or some compound butter. How would you say is the best way to fix this where it is rare and tender?

I was going to sear it and then stick it in the oven on 375. The meat is .74lbs

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
i would haveta recommend the oven

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Hope this reaches you in time...

Best way would be to pan sear it on high so you get a nice crust on the outside. If you have cajun seasoning/spices you can do a nice blackened rib eye. Pre-heat your oven to about 450 degrees. Assuming that the steaks are 1.5-2" thick, pan sear for approximately 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven and cook for about 6-8 minutes for rare, 8-10 minutes for medium rare.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Head Chef
Thanks for the advise. It isn't too late, the boyfriend isn't in until later tonight. The steak is a little under an inch thick so I will probably pan sear it quickly and put it in the oven for a little shorter time. The cajun seasoning is a great idea, but I don't have any so I think I will baste it with a little worcesteshire sauce, seasoned salt, and some butter.
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Master Chef
If you have any, saute some mushrooms and throw on top of the steak after plating. Serve with something slightly sweet, like a good green salad and some raspberry vinagarette. The steak is savory. Ballance it with the salad, or a 3-bean salad that gives both sweet & sour. Good crusty bread would be good with the steak as well. My beverage of choice, especially with steak is milk. I find the salty, slightly metalic flavor of beef brings out the full milk flavor, and vice/versa. Of course you can serve whatever beverage you like.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote