"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-05-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
Master Chef

All of these are great ideas, and I think I'll be trying them all at some point--I bought $17 worth of London Broil today for $5.50. It almost seems too good to be true!

Old 09-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
too badd you can't run a car on London Broil

Old 09-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Make sure you dont overcook it, medium at the max I like medium rare and slice thin and slice against the grain.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:27 AM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
All of these are great ideas, and I think I'll be trying them all at some point--I bought $17 worth of London Broil today for $5.50. It almost seems too good to be true!
Remember its just thick cut top round steak..Cook it the same are you would that..Quick sear and leave bloody..Its a very lean cut of beef and thick cuts tend to get tough if cooked too long. In my opion: season to taste, add 1/2 cup liquid for me beer!, wrap in foil and cook in a slow oven untill almost med and finnish by searing on a hot grill saving the juices from the foil to serve with the steak.. unless you like your meat more well done then cook longer in the oven before finnishing on the grill..

If your my wife you should just marinate over night snd sear it on the grill and serve bloody, or reverse my order by cooking it on a slow grill and finnishing it in the oven..

Well thats my two cents worth..and with inflation its only worth1/60th of what I thought is should...

Tater tot
Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 AM   #15
Executive Chef

They are great on the grill. And you can marinate them in italian dressing as well.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:41 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
As many of you know by now, I'm not very good with knowing my cuts of meat. However, I do know that my grocery store is having a fantastic sale on London Broil this week so it's going to be on the menu! What's the best way to cook it? Is it a cut that's good on the grill?
I'm not very good when it comes to knowing all cuts of meat either. I've often bought London Broil. Think the market also labels it as Flank steak. I prepare it very simply. Sprinkle with pepper, cut slits throughout the meat & insert garlic cloves, marinate in teriyaki marinade & serve with red potatoes, carrots, & onions. Only problem I've had, is sometimes it's tough. Maybe I need to marinate longer, use a tenderizer or cook a shorter time?

Here's a link that gives a better description. (Topping with Bernaise sauce sounds pretty good too.)

http://www.askthemeatman.com/london_broil.htm
Old 09-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

mish:

Flank steak has a very pronounced grain. You can see the muscle fibers running through the meat. In order for the meat to be tender, it must be cooked to no mre than medium and you must cut across the grain. With marinating, cooking and slicing as I described, you can have a reasonably tender piece of meat.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:07 AM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
I'm not very good when it comes to knowing all cuts of meat either. I've often bought London Broil. Think the market also labels it as Flank steak. I prepare it very simply. Sprinkle with pepper, cut slits throughout the meat & insert garlic cloves, marinate in teriyaki marinade & serve with red potatoes, carrots, & onions. Only problem I've had, is sometimes it's tough. Maybe I need to marinate longer, use a tenderizer or cook a shorter time?

Here's a link that gives a better description. (Topping with Bernaise sauce sounds pretty good too.)

http://www.askthemeatman.com/london_broil.htm
No cook it longer in a slower oven...
Old 09-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Here's an idea:

Ginger Flank Steak with Sake-Glazed Veggies

Tags
None