Best way to cook London Broil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
As many of you know by now, I'm not very good with knowing my cuts of meat.:rolleyes: However, I do know that my grocery store is having a fantastic sale on London Broil this week so it's going to be on the menu! What's the best way to cook it? Is it a cut that's good on the grill?

I love it with Raine's famous beer marinade!

Beer marinated grilled steak

12 oz beer (lager style) *I use Grant's Mandarin Hefeweisen
1/2 cup soy sauce *I use light
1/4 cup vinegar *I use balsamic
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T coarse ground Dijon mustard *I use Roquefort Dijon
2 T minced garlic
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T hot pepper sauce *I use "Marie Sharp's" brand
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T freshly ground pepper
1 t salt

Place steak in a resealable bag. In a bowl mix together all the marinade ingredients and pour over steak. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally. (*I prefer to put the steaks into a large pyrex dish and cover - this way there's no need to turn, as they're covered completely) They are amazing on the grill! Also, if you really want to get a little daring, make an extra amount of the marinade and don't use it in the steaks. Rather, cook a roux of flour and butter in a small saucepan till it looks like play-dough and then slowly stir in the marinade. It makes a great gravy over mashed potatoes!

Best of luck, and remember to buy extras and freeze them!

Last edited:
Hi Pa,

I usually marinate overnight, then grill..One of our favorites is to cut the grilled meat very thin, then put it onto a buttered and grilled sub or french roll, I like to make an au jus to pour over mine, DH and the kids like to load it with tomato, sliced red onion, avocado, lettuce and then dunk in au jus..Sometimes I marinate in brown sugar, vinegar, evoo garlic,worcestershire, honey, a little chix broth or wine, and molasses, YEP lots of sugar, then I slice thin and put ontop of a salad with all kinds of things in it, serve some garlic bread and fruit.. Hope this helps a little...
kadesma:)

I ussually marinate London Broil in mizture of olive oil, balsamic and red wine vinegar, ample amounts for crushed galic, a splsh of Lea&Perrins, some Montreal Steak seasoning and some red pepper flakes. I let it sit overnight in a zip lock bag and I grill it on the webber until it is rare.

YUMMMM, it is what we had for dinner last night

I do the same as Kadesma, grill it and cut it very thin. I marinade it in italian dressing overnight. I make a mixture of butter and garlic to put on sub rolls.

Here is my favorite way to prepare it...

London Broil with Steak Sauce Gravy

1 1/2 pounds shoulder London broil steak, 1 1/2 inches thick
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup steak sauce

Turn broiler on. Brush meat with Worcestershire and season with salt and pepper. Cook London broil on top rack for 7-8 minutes on each side.

Place a small skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter, add finely chopped shallot, cook 2 minutes, then whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Add 2 cups beef broth to the pan and bring to a bubble. Reduce the broth 2 minutes then add 1/4 cup steak sauce and black pepper, to taste.

I usually marinate mine for 2-8 hours in a mixture of basil, rosemary, garlic, onion, wine vinegar and salad oil then throw it under the boiler for about 2 minutes or so each side depending on size of steak. Then cut against the grain and drain juices on top.

I haven't fixed this yet either but have been toying with trying it. I've seen numerous cooks on t.v. prepare it (they marinated the meat ) and it seems like the main thing to remember is when cutting it .... cut against the grain or else it'll be like chewing leather.

All of these are great ideas, and I think I'll be trying them all at some point--I bought $17 worth of London Broil today for $5.50. It almost seems too good to be true! :)

:) Make sure you dont overcook it, medium at the max I like medium rare and slice thin and slice against the grain.

PA Baker said:
All of these are great ideas, and I think I'll be trying them all at some point--I bought $17 worth of London Broil today for $5.50. It almost seems too good to be true! :)

Remember its just thick cut top round steak..Cook it the same are you would that..Quick sear and leave bloody..Its a very lean cut of beef and thick cuts tend to get tough if cooked too long. In my opion: season to taste, add 1/2 cup liquid for me beer!, wrap in foil and cook in a slow oven untill almost med and finnish by searing on a hot grill saving the juices from the foil to serve with the steak.. unless you like your meat more well done then cook longer in the oven before finnishing on the grill..

If your my wife you should just marinate over night snd sear it on the grill and serve bloody, or reverse my order by cooking it on a slow grill and finnishing it in the oven..

Well thats my two cents worth..and with inflation its only worth1/60th of what I thought is should...

Tater tot

They are great on the grill. And you can marinate them in italian dressing as well.

PA Baker said:
As many of you know by now, I'm not very good with knowing my cuts of meat.:rolleyes: However, I do know that my grocery store is having a fantastic sale on London Broil this week so it's going to be on the menu! What's the best way to cook it? Is it a cut that's good on the grill?

I'm not very good when it comes to knowing all cuts of meat either. I've often bought London Broil. Think the market also labels it as Flank steak. I prepare it very simply. Sprinkle with pepper, cut slits throughout the meat & insert garlic cloves, marinate in teriyaki marinade & serve with red potatoes, carrots, & onions. Only problem I've had, is sometimes it's tough. Maybe I need to marinate longer, use a tenderizer or cook a shorter time?

Here's a link that gives a better description. (Topping with Bernaise sauce sounds pretty good too.) :)

http://www.askthemeatman.com/london_broil.htm

mish:

Flank steak has a very pronounced grain. You can see the muscle fibers running through the meat. In order for the meat to be tender, it must be cooked to no mre than medium and you must cut across the grain. With marinating, cooking and slicing as I described, you can have a reasonably tender piece of meat.

mish said:
I'm not very good when it comes to knowing all cuts of meat either. I've often bought London Broil. Think the market also labels it as Flank steak. I prepare it very simply. Sprinkle with pepper, cut slits throughout the meat & insert garlic cloves, marinate in teriyaki marinade & serve with red potatoes, carrots, & onions. Only problem I've had, is sometimes it's tough. Maybe I need to marinate longer, use a tenderizer or cook a shorter time?

Here's a link that gives a better description. (Topping with Bernaise sauce sounds pretty good too.) :)

http://www.askthemeatman.com/london_broil.htm

No cook it longer in a slower oven...

Back
Top Bottom