"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
The rest for you would be when you sit down to enjoy that delicious steak lol.

Our butcher sells Charolais beef, which is really tasty.

My husband eventually decided to try steak again, but we just bought it in the supermarket. I just fried it about 3 minutes each side, as per the packet instructions for medium done. They turned out fine, but I would still like to know the correct times for grilling steak or even oven cooking.

Gillian
There is no one-size-fits-all answer. You can only go by the guidelines above and know what internal doneness temperature you want. Use an instant-read thermometer to determine when the steak is cooked enough, then put it on a serving plate, cover and let rest 10 minutes, then serve.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There is no one-size-fits-all answer. You can only go by the guidelines above and know what internal doneness temperature you want. Use an instant-read thermometer to determine when the steak is cooked enough, then put it on a serving plate, cover and let rest 10 minutes, then serve.
+1!!

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

Sorry for my not perfect English but i'm Italian.
Usually i take the steak at ambient temperature . I dry it with kitchen paper.
When I put the steak in the pan or on the grill the temperature must be hight .
Don't sting the steak with the fork. I put salt at the end.. I only turn the steak every 3 - 4 minutes.
When it is cooked i let the steak in the pan covered for some minutes to allow to the secrection and taste to be redistribuited inside the steak.
Marigio
marigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #54
Master Chef

Gristle is the connecting tissue between muscles that holds the muscles together, and, or tendons. Silverskin is a type of gristle. Chunks of cartilage is also called gristle. All of these are very chewy, with little flavor.Meat with lots of gristle are best prepared with slow heat - 200 to 300 degrees, and covered, as in a slow cooker, or roasting pan, usually with chopped onion, and seasonings, roasted to an internal temp of 180 degrees. This breaks down the gristle, turning it into a luxuriously soft texture.

Steaks with a lot of connecting tissue, or gristle can be made tender my blending papaya, fresh pineapple, or kiwi fruit into a sauce, and spreading all over the steak. Seal in a water-tight plastic bag, and let sit in the fridge for 3 days. These fruits contain an enzyme that will break down the gristle, and meat, making it tender. Simply rinse off the meat before cooking. The fruit flavor can't be tasted once it's rinsed off.If you are purchasing good beef, recognized by lack of gristle, and specks, or strands of fat flecks in the muscle tissue (the more the better), then packing the meat in salt, and letting sit for a day in the fridge will remove some of the water from the meat, concentrating the beef flavor. Just make sure to rinse off the meat before cooking. And everyone, remember these two truths about protein; acids and heat cause protein fibers to contract, effectively making the meat tough, and dry. That is why well-done steak is more challenging to make tender. When meat is cooked beyond 160; F.,it begins to toughen and dry out.

How you cook a good cut of steak will depend on the equipment you have, and how thick the steak is. For a half inch thick steak, pan frying, or grilling is great. Cook to 135' F. for medium rare, making sure to season both sides of the steak before cooing. For inch thick, and above, pan sear to create a flavorful crust on the steak surface, then finish in a 375 degree oven until medium rafe, again using a meat thermometer to know when it's done. Let the steak rest for about ten minutes before serving.

If cooking on the grill, over charcoal, heat a solid bed of coals until screaming hot, and place steaks directly on grill. Cover and cook for about 3 and a half minutes, flip and repeat. Test temperature. Again, let rest before serving, For thicker steaks, close vents halfway, and cook to proper temperature.

Enhoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, steak