Bistecca (Beefsteak) alla Bolognese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
...or better known as Bistecca alla Bolognese or Cotoletta alla Bolognese. The chicken parm thread reminded me of this. It is a great and different way to enjoy beef. I think it may have been the ancestor of Chicken Parm. I never see it over here, and can't find recipes in English.
Basically it is beef cutlets, pounded, breaded and fried up crispy. You can top it with, prosciutto, ham or pepperoni, then melt some mozzerella, parmesan (or any cheese of your choice, really) on top and serve it topped with a dollup of tomato sauce. The ones I ate around Rome had tomato sauce, but the ones I have seen on the internet are served without. Here are two recipes that I found to illustrate things a bit better. They are in Italian, but you can see the photos.
Cotoletta alla bolognese: Ricetta Tipica Emilia-Romagna | Cookaround
Cuochi ma Buoni: La Cotoletta alla bolognese

Last edited:
This sounds pretty good. Why don't we eat this more often? Pork chicken and veal are OK but beef isn't??? What's up with that?

If you type in the title in the link - Cotoletta alla bolognese - and do a google search, the page will be listed in the results and you can click on 'translate this page' to see it in English.

I think beef is a victim of its own success. It tastes so darned good au natural and with just a bit of seasoning, that nobody wants to combine it with other ingredients to mask the flavor.

Thanks for the translation tip...

I think beef is a victim of its own success. It tastes so darned good au natural and with just a bit of seasoning, that nobody wants to combine it with other ingredients to mask the flavor.

Thanks for the translation tip...

What's the point of the broth in the pan when the cooked cutlet, cheese and ham go in the oven? Seems to me that would make the breading soggy. I'd consider putting it under the broiler for a minute or two to melt the cheese.

I don't make mine with broth. I just cook it up like a chicken parm. Meat cheese on top then in the oven to bake or broil....I never really used a recipe. I just make my own version after eating it in a few Trattoria's while living over there.... You're right, though, the broth would make the breading soggy.

Last edited:
Rock Lobster: Thanks for Posting your Bistecca Recipe

:yum: Delicious ... I place a slice of Proscuitto di Parma ... and the simplicity and ease of the recipe ... Thanks so much for posting your´s ...

Have lovely August,
Margaux. ;)

jpb, i never knew rube goldberg was into cooking...

or

what happens when retired italian cyclists open up a restaurant.

Is'nt this dish Steak ala Pizzarolla?

Biffteca in the style of the Pizza guy?

I make this quit often..

and here in Texas it it very close to Biftecca Tampicano, but with less cheese and more Salsa on top!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Back
Top Bottom