Bistro-Style Filet Mignon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Somebody asked about internal temps for a rare filet.........
this method never fails !
LT

Bistro-Style Filet Mignon (pics in the 1/22 "what's cooking" thread)

Ingredients
2 (10-ounce) Filet Mignon steaks
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon coarsely ground sea salt
1 tablespoon coarsely cracked black peppercorns
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, optional

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a large, well-seasoned cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot, 5 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, pat the steaks dry with a paper towel and brush them lightly with vegetable oil. Combine the salt and cracked pepper in a shallow bowl and roll the steaks in the mixture, pressing lightly to evenly coat all sides.
When the skillet is ready, add the steaks and sear them evenly on all sides for about 1 1/2 minutes per side, for a total of about 8 minutes.
Top each steak with a tablespoon of butter and place the skillet in the oven. Cook the steaks until they reach 120 degrees F for rare or 125 degrees F for medium-rare on an instant-read thermometer. (To test the steaks, insert the thermometer sideways to be sure you're actually testing the middle of the steak.)
Remove the steaks to a serving platter, cover tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Bistro-Style Mushrooms

1 1/2 pounds mixed wild mushrooms, such as crimini, shiitake, porcini, and portobello
1/2 cup E.V. olive oil
1 cup chopped shallots (3 large)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 generous cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Directions
Brush the caps of each mushroom with a clean sponge or damp paper towel. Remove and discard the stems. Slice the small mushrooms thickly and cut the large ones in a large dice.
Heat the olive oil in a large (11 - inch) Dutch oven or saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, or until the shallots are translucent. Add the butter, mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes, until they are tender and begin to release their juices, stirring often. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Toss in the parsley, sprinkle with salt, and serve warm.

img_941724_0_4ec34924cc381fb914a73afaafca08ee.jpg

img_941724_1_45eb7e6f329ad5f19ca6bf8f4df19f5e.jpg

img_941724_2_72ba60e957920e932b8b6a7678d25491.jpg

img_941724_3_91090b0b704a81f960c65bb4f30bb196.jpg

img_941724_4_ff9851b73665290a59584b7fc45cda6d.jpg

Oh yum...not fair to show that to toothless me.

LT, I just swiped that last pic to serve as my inspiration to get my dentures to work and get back to eating real food. Thanks!

Last edited:
Six sides - Depending on the cut, it may be seven ..... or even eight ! Just be sure it's seared (read that "sealed", if you prefer) on the entire surface !

Pretty Straight-forward..............

Maybe you should just order them out ???

Last edited:
First, never heard of searing the edges of steaks.
Second, 6 time 1.5 minutes is about 9 minutes, not eight.

The mushrooms look good.

I almost always bacon wrap my Filet Mignon steaks, and sear the edges to cook the bacon, and to release the good drippings for the flat sides.
For inch, or more, thick loin lamb chops, I also sear on all the edges including the flat top of the bone. I can't imagine doing it another way.

The mushrooms look good.

I never heard of searing the sides of steaks either. But, if there were bacon wrapped around the steaks, I would consider it.

The mushrooms look good.

Thirdly ; 6 times 1.5 = 7.5, but now we are nit-picking............ just sear "All Sides" until "sealed"

And; I guess you heard it here first :LOL:

Do the recipe; you'll love it !

Last edited:
I almost always bacon wrap my Filet Mignon steaks, and sear the edges to cook the bacon, and to release the good drippings for the flat sides.
For inch, or more, thick loin lamb chops, I also sear on all the edges including the flat top of the bone. I can't imagine doing it another way.

The filets are an inch and a half thick.............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom