"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I can just imagine pretty little scooped balls of herb butter, frozen in the fridge. If they are sufficient size (perhaps no more than 3/4 inch) then you could almost serve them right out of the freezer, they'd probably melt right on to your hot steak or vegetables.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
They do!

Lest nobody forget, you can make BC butter by blending BC:butter 1:4 or like it like it, 1:2. Goes well on steaks, vegetables, etc. (Example of 1:2, one ounce of blue cheese blended with 2 ounces of butter.) Let both ingredients soften to the vicinity of room temperature before blending. Then chill before serving.

Not for those who faint at the thought of eating 1 milligram of fat...

I'd never heard of that. Hmm! I've started a list of things to do with BC crumbles. ('nother thread). Now I'll have to check out blue cheese butter.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #23
Executive Chef

There are almost infinite possibilities for herbed (and cheesed) butters. Almost any herbs, any cheese, garlic and many other things can be added to butter. Allow the butter to soften a bit on your counter while you're preparing the additions, then mix in the additions--no great need for a blender just use a spoon or something like that and you won't have t clean a whole blender bowl afterwards--although you can use a blender (very lightly) if you don't mind the cleaning job. There is no need to get your herbed/cheesed butter perfectly homogeneously blended. IMO it's even better to leave your butter a bit rustic.

Refrigerate the butter after mixing. You want it to be firm when you serve it. One of them little balling tools would work well to form the butter into spheres. You can freeze any unused herb butter or make excess and ball it, freeze them on a flat sheet then throw them into a bag for future use.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

YUM! I love everything blue cheese and actually just finished making my yearly blue cheese butter, (which I freeze a decent sized log of) just in time for grilling season. Goes great on just about any type of meat but my favorite is on steaks! If you like spicy foods and olives I would also recommend hot olive burgers. My favorite are made with "Stump's Hot Olives. Stump's - Spicy Hot Foods & Beverages
Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanhorn View Post
Goes great on just about any type of meat but my favorite is on steaks!
Definitely my first encounter with blue cheese butter, on a recommendation from a cooking friend to serve over steaks.

Another good additive is fresh, chopped parsley...

Tags
cheese