Bobotie Alla Odette (South African Recipe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We use Rajah Curry Powder In SA, it's a South African Brand but it's available online in the US. Medium strength is what I go for. I sometimes buy curry powder at the Indian Market. Packo Curry Paste is also good for this recipe.
It's more personal preference than anything else, go for the strength you prefer as long as it's an Indian Curry powder. Malay if you can find.

Wonderful! I'll look for the Rajah Curry Powder. My favorite curry powder is McCormick's Hot Madras Curry Powder. I'll try it in your recipe!

Edit: Found it on Amazon! Photo attached.

Attachments

• Rajah-Hot-Madras-Curry-Powder.jpg
    Rajah-Hot-Madras-Curry-Powder.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Wonderful! I'll look for the Rajah Curry Powder. My favorite curry powder is McCormick's Hot Madras Curry Powder. I'll try it in your recipe!

Edit: Found it on Amazon! Photo attached.

Go for it ! but if your choice of curry makes my dish taste bad remember you didn't get the recipe from me :LOL:

This is my version of a SA traditional meal. This is a Cape Malay dish :) It's a curried mince beef bake topped with eggy topping and served with yellow rice.
Hope you guys like it!

1.3 pounds of ground beef
1 large onion thinly sliced
1 apple peeled and grated
Handful of Dried apricots chopped
2 tsps of curry powder
1 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp of ground cloves
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
1 tsp of crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 slices of white bread crusts cut off
2 eggs beaten
Milk to soak the bread
Oil for frying

For the topping
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup of milk
salt
Lemon or bay leaves to garnish

Preheat oven to 325 F

In a pan fry onion and grated apple till lightly browned. Add all the spices, garlic and fry for 2 mins to cook out the spice. Add minced beef and brown slightly.
Remove from heat. Add the chopped apricots and sultanas now if using.
Soak bread in a little milk and crumble into the mince. Mix the beaten egg and bread well with mixture and put the mix in a glass dish or lasagna dish. Even out the mixture and press it firmly into the dish.

For the eggy topping:
2 eggs beaten
Half a cup of milk
salt
Mix milk and egg well add salt to season.

Bake the mix for 30 minutes then remove and pour over the eggy topping and stick a few lemon or bay leaves into the mince mix.
Bake further until eggy topping is set and light golden brown.

Serve with yellow rice, chutney and thin slices of banana. Add a tsp of turmeric when you boil the rice to make it yellow.
Lekker Lekker like a crekker:)

Not at all Luca, I myself am not too fond of fruit in Savoury dishes but this is the traditional method. I often leave the dried fruit out but add the grated apple since it's not added for sweetness but more a texture. The apple is barely noticeable once cooked but I would not leave it out since it reduces the bitter notes of a curry. If preferred you could add a grated carrot instead.

I use a dash of apple sauce in mine. So many non South Africans can't quite relate to the mixing of savoury and fruit, but as you have said, the way it is done, you hardly notice that there is fruit in when it is all combined. My hubby has a problem with dried fruit in bobotie, so I just use Mrs Balls regular or peach chutney and he loves it.

Here is the Recipe for the Yellow Rice that is traditionally served with Bobotie. Raisins really to go so well with this.

Yellow Rice. ( recipe from Rainbow Nation. )

Ingredients
2 cups of rice
¾ cup raisins, soaked in water for 20 minutes, then drained
1 teaspoon of turmeric
a dash of salt
2 sticks of cinnamon
Instructions on how to make it
Place all the ingredients, including the raisins in about 750ml of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. If there is still excess water in the pot when the rice is tender, pour it out carefully.
Dot the rice with a few blobs of butter and give it a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar ( a little sugar and a little cinnamon powder, mixed together).

Back
Top Bottom