Bolar Blade Roast for Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maggieB

Assistant Cook
I have a 1.7kg cut of bolar blade for Christmas, as recommended to me by my butcher. I have been concentrating on all the other elements of my Christmas lunch and have only just realised I am not certain on how to cook the beef!

I have only done two beef roasts before in my life (we usually go with lamb), and both turned out pretty much terribly, a rubbery chunk of well done car tyre. I'd love to aim for a nice tender medium cooked roast, and in an ideal world I'd be able to do that in our electric fry pan. Can anyone help me? Please and Thank you :)

Roast beef is really not intended to be cooked too well done. Rear to med rear is what you want. Too much past that and the meat will be tough. Once it is cooked and rested you can slice it thin, then put it in the broiler for a few seconds till it looks done( not red).
Brush it with a bit of olive oil, then salt & pepper it. Preheat your oven to 450. Cook the roast at 450 for 20 minutes then turn the oven down to 325 and cook till the inside temp reaches 140 degrees. Remove from the oven and cover with foil to rest for 30 minutes then slice and serve or place slices under the broiler and cook to your liking.

This appears to be a cut from the chuck primal. It's taken from the shoulder of the animal near the shoulder blade. Typically, chuck cuts are best braised in a pot roast or similar or possibly a Boeuf Bourguignon.

Hi, maggie. Welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I think you will get the best results from roasting this cut rather than cooking it in a fry pan. In the oven, the roast will be heated, and thus cooked, more evenly all around it. Overcooking leads to tough, dry meat, so using a meat thermometer will ensure that you cook it to the desired temperature. And remember that it will continue to cook as it rests after you remove it from the oven.

Here's a recipe that sounds like what you want: http://www.countdown.co.nz/recipes/recipe?cid=73239

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Yes, oven is probably best but I have a turkey and veggies etc taking up space on Christmas Day and was hoping to do it in the electric fry pan. I thought maybe sear it in a pan on the stove and then wrap it in foil and put in the electric fry pan with the lid on, low temp? We usually do the lamb roast this way minus the foil and they are always delicious.

Read here: How to Cook Bolar Blade Meat | LIVESTRONG.COM
and here Slow-cooked Bolar Roast with Tarragon and Red Wine Sauce | Angus Bolar Beef Roast slow-cooked in the oven from Green Meadows Beef online meat sellers NZ

Basically it needs to be seared on the stovetop at high heat to brown the outside a bit and then baked slowly until cooked.

The links above are for a larger and then a smaller cut than you have so you'll need to adjust the bake time a bit.

I think that you will need to bake this for about 2 1/2 hours and then once it's cooked, take it from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving. This will improve the tenderness and juiciness substantially.

Back
Top Bottom