Boneless beef ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
These come on sale here every 2 weeks.

What are they? The beef council says they are more a part of the chuck, no bones, and not short ribs..

at 2.97 a lb, I can't go wrong!

What are they and how should I cook them?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Braise or low and slow. One of those tough cuts I imagine.

Kind of an oxymoron, don't you think? Boneless ribs? Reminds me of the boneless chicken ranch..
Boneless-Chicken-Ranch-Far-Side-247x300.jpg

Last edited:
The chuck is part of the animal's shoulder. I think it's the best for low and slow cooking. I use chuck for pot roast, stew, chili and similar long slow cooked foods.

Your "boneless beef ribs" are cut from the chuck. You can treat them as short ribs. At $2.97/Lb I'd buy as much as I could afford and freeze them as I have to pay $4.99/Lb or more for boneless chuck roast.

They're essentially leftover parts from butchering more common cuts. Craig and Andy are right - low and slow. My favorite local Mexican-inspired restaurant serves braised short ribs as an open-faced tamale that's delicious. You could do the same with these. Sear and braise in a mixture of sauteed onions and garlic, fresh and dried chiles, tomatoes, cumin and dried Mexican oregano. Serve over polenta or rice, or make a tamale pie with this as the filling. You can also make beef stew with this.

Last edited:
Huh. I'll have to be on the lookout for them, that's a really good price. I never did quite understand how ribs could be boneless either, and figured they were actually something else.

Kind of an oxymoron, don't you think? Boneless ribs? Reminds me of the boneless chicken ranch..

Yes indeed! Kinda like boneless chicken wings.

It's the meat industry's was of capitalizing on popular cuts. Ribs sell, so
'here's the ultimate great food', ribs with no bones to fuss with.

The boneless beef ribs at Costco are so marbled, I would imagine they could be grilled and served rare. Just like a steak.

I asked the meat manager and he told me they were tender enough to grill or fry.
Look next time your in Costco and be amazed or confused as I was, as to their origin and how to prepare them.
I can tell you slow and long on these boneless beef ribs would be sacrilege.

The boneless beef ribs at Costco are so marbled, I would imagine they could be grilled and served rare. Just like a steak.

I asked the meat manager and he told me they were tender enough to grill or fry.
Look next time your in Costco and be amazed or confused as I was, as to their origin and how to prepare them.

Have you cooked boneless beef ribs and served them rare? If they're cut from the chuck, it's not likely they're be tender.

Have you cooked boneless beef ribs and served them rare? If they're cut from the chuck, it's not likely they're be tender.

Nope, and I was just as dismayed when I saw them, as you are reading my post. I too associate boneless ribs with long and slow. Any rib.
If you are a Costco member, look for yourself. You will be surprised. I mean I was.
The only thing about them that says "ribs" is the way they are cut.

Marbling doesn't make meat tender, it makes it flavorful. The tenderest cuts are from the muscles that get the least amount of use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom