"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Boneless Beef Short Ribs

One of my issues with bone-in beef short ribs is the excessive amount of fat that is part of the package. I seldom plan a day ahead to cook and refrigerate the dish so I can lift off the fat and find skimming it off a tedious and not completely successful effort.

Recently, I have been noticing boneless beef short ribs in the meat case at the supermarket.

Have any of you had experience cooking boneless short ribs other than to braise them? I'm interested in using them in a recipe.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I've grilled them, basically like spares. Other than that, I've got an excellent slow cooker recipe. It calls for pouring the liquid into a baggie and cutting a bit of the corner off after it has settled to try to get the "good" liquids and leave the fat behind. Because yes, they sure are fatty.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Master Chef

I haven't done this as I haven't seen the cut localy. But I would first try to cook them as I would a brisket. I would put grill them over low heat, on a divided bed of coals, with alder or apple wood. After about 2 hours, I would hit them with a dry rub, seal in foil, and cook low and slow for another 2 to 3 hours. That should give you good and smoky flavor, with tender, juicy met. You could also sauce them for the last 10 minutes or so on the grill.

As a side, I'm thinking plain brown rice, with the meat juice used either as au jus, or made into a gravy. Throw in either a great garden salad, or some broccoli and butter.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I made them one time. They were too fatty and greasy for me.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I buy boneless beef ribs at Costco and they're great. They have no more marbling than a rib steak. At times there is extra fat on the outside of the meat, but I usually can find them without that. The ribs are tender and can be grilled at regular grilling heat. I've cut them into cubes and braised them in a Mexican sauce and they're wonderful. I've also cut them in cubes and cooked them in my slow cooker along with a can of cream of mushroom soup and an envelope of dried onion soup After adding sour cream, the mixture tastes a lot like beef stroganoff and it's delicious served with cooked noodles. I don't know if there is a Costco where you live or if the Costco has the boneless beef ribs but I hope so.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

ooh, i'm not sure if you're a fan of korean food, but marinated and grilled beef short ribs (kalbi) are delicious.

i'll see if I can find a good kalbi recipe.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
One of my issues with bone-in beef short ribs is the excessive amount of fat that is part of the package. I seldom plan a day ahead to cook and refrigerate the dish so I can lift off the fat and find skimming it off a tedious and not completely successful effort.
I'm right there with you on that issue, Andy. While I've been aware of the gravy separators for some time, I've not purchased one yet.

I think I'll do so and start enjoying the fatty foods I've avoided cooking.

Several Types of Fat Separators
Old 08-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ooh, i'm not sure if you're a fan of korean food, but marinated and grilled beef short ribs (kalbi) are delicious.

i'll see if I can find a good kalbi recipe.

Great, BT. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Maybe you could find a recipe that would allow you to cook them a day ahead, pop them in the fridge, then, the next day, just take the fat off the top of the braising liquid and reheat them some how.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Maybe you could find a recipe that would allow you to cook them a day ahead, pop them in the fridge, then, the next day, just take the fat off the top of the braising liquid and reheat them some how.
Thanks Rock, I know to do that for bone in ribs. I'm looking for new ideas for boneless ribs. They are less fatty.

Tags
beef, other