"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Pulled chuck roast.... nifty idea, Joe.

I've only done mine in a crock pot/slow cooker, but is there a difference between that and what the OP asked? Couldn't this be adapted?

I place my chuck roast on carrots to keep it out of the juice anyway. Wouldn't putting the roast in a roasting pan on a rack, with the oven at say 275F, some juice in the pan and a lid on produce the same results as using a slow cooker? Just in case they don't have a slow cooker....

Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Pulled chuck roast.... nifty idea, Joe.

I've only done mine in a crock pot/slow cooker, but is there a difference between that and what the OP asked? Couldn't this be adapted?

I place my chuck roast on carrots to keep it out of the juice anyway. Wouldn't putting the roast in a roasting pan on a rack, with the oven at say 275F, some juice in the pan and a lid on produce the same results as using a slow cooker? Just in case they don't have a slow cooker....

I think the OP was asking about cooking it as a roast beef - like medoium rare or similar.

A slow cooker and a dutch oven on the stovetop or in the oven will yield similar results. With these methods, the meat is enclosed in a smaller container and the internal temperature of the roast is much higher than when it's dry roasted.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Andy.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
Head Chef

I do my chuck roast in the crock pot or pressure cooker. I like to season it with some Liptons Beefy Onion Soup Mix.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #15
Head Chef

I'm with Mama - brown it really well after dredging it with flour. Put some carrots, onions and potatoes under it, pour a package of Lipton's Onion soup over it, and let it cook 6-8 hours. It will make its own gravy.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:57 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I put potatoes, carrots, onions and mushrooms in the bottom of a crockpot. Brown the roast and put on top of veggies. Add 1 can French Onion soup and cook for 6-8 hours. It gives it a wonderful taste.

Barb
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #17
Cook

I will second (or third?) the pulled beef! My family prefers pulled beef over pork, so I'll take a chuck roast, pat it dry, apply some olive oil, garlic and a dry rub (sometimes just salt, pepper & rosemary). I've done them in the oven, but prefer smoking on my Big Green Egg at around 230* until the internal temp is 205*. This ensures that all the fat and connective tissues have completely broken down. After it comes out I put it in a cooler for an hour or so to rest and then pull/shred. It always turns out moist and tasty.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think the OP was asking about cooking it as a roast beef - like medoium rare or similar.

A slow cooker and a dutch oven on the stovetop or in the oven will yield similar results. With these methods, the meat is enclosed in a smaller container and the internal temperature of the roast is much higher than when it's dry roasted.
Correct! If you want to use your oven, you can put the roast in an oven bag...(I am big fan of meats in oven bags, as you throw them away after wards) I did this before as my crock pot was being used as a warmer for appetizers. I sear it first as well...
Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I agree with bowlingshit.
Although the Mods here don't like to agree with me, I'm sure they have called me that before

*edit* LOL, you are a Mod
Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #20
Sous Chef

So what's the reason for putting the roast on top of the vegetables in a crock pot? Is it to keep the roast off the bottom, or to keep the veg submerged? I sure don't like cooking vegetables for that long!

Tags
None