Boneless chuck roast - how to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stella080607

Assistant Cook
i have a roasting pan with a rack should i use that? what temp and how long? i always mess this up please help

My wife cooks these in a crock pot with a little water and seasonings...adds potatoes and veggies, too. Fall apart tender and yummy.

Roast in a pan with some wine. Season it of course. I like sweet wine so that is what i use. Depending on how big it is use about 250 deg for a long time. I usually make a really large one, I live it in the oven overnight.

A chuck roast isn't suitable for dry on the rack roasting. I always pat it dry, dredge it in flour, brown it and then cook slowly in a small amount of liquid (maybe 1/2-3/4 c.) on top of the stove or in a crockpot. It will make it's own gravy. You can season it anyway you please (I do this at the beginning - maybe stick garlic cloves in the meat, whatever). Add root vegetables during the last hour of cooking and you'll have a full one pot meal.

After you've enjoyed your pot roast (if there's any left), you might do what a local restaurant here does with the leftovers...shred the meat and mix it with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce and serve it on a soft bun. It's a whole different flavor because the beef captured the flavors of all the veggies that were cooked with it originally, rather than the traditional smoking or dry rub slow cook method for BBQ beef. This way you get two meals from one at very little additional cost, and a whole different flavor. Be sure to include a side of cole slaw, or plop it on top of the meat in the sandwich.

Boneless chuck roast is my 'go to' cut for slow cooking dishes. I use it for pot roasts, beef stews, chili and soups.

Boneless chuck roast is my 'go to' cut for slow cooking dishes. I use it for pot roasts, beef stews, chili and soups.

Well, of course, now I want to make a pot of chili with chuck roast. :blush:

Pulled chuck roast.... nifty idea, Joe.

I've only done mine in a crock pot/slow cooker, but is there a difference between that and what the OP asked? Couldn't this be adapted?

I place my chuck roast on carrots to keep it out of the juice anyway. Wouldn't putting the roast in a roasting pan on a rack, with the oven at say 275F, some juice in the pan and a lid on produce the same results as using a slow cooker? Just in case they don't have a slow cooker....

Pulled chuck roast.... nifty idea, Joe.

I've only done mine in a crock pot/slow cooker, but is there a difference between that and what the OP asked? Couldn't this be adapted?

I place my chuck roast on carrots to keep it out of the juice anyway. Wouldn't putting the roast in a roasting pan on a rack, with the oven at say 275F, some juice in the pan and a lid on produce the same results as using a slow cooker? Just in case they don't have a slow cooker....

I think the OP was asking about cooking it as a roast beef - like medoium rare or similar.

A slow cooker and a dutch oven on the stovetop or in the oven will yield similar results. With these methods, the meat is enclosed in a smaller container and the internal temperature of the roast is much higher than when it's dry roasted.

I do my chuck roast in the crock pot or pressure cooker. I like to season it with some Liptons Beefy Onion Soup Mix.

I'm with Mama - brown it really well after dredging it with flour. Put some carrots, onions and potatoes under it, pour a package of Lipton's Onion soup over it, and let it cook 6-8 hours. It will make its own gravy.

I put potatoes, carrots, onions and mushrooms in the bottom of a crockpot. Brown the roast and put on top of veggies. Add 1 can French Onion soup and cook for 6-8 hours. It gives it a wonderful taste.

Barb

I will second (or third?) the pulled beef! My family prefers pulled beef over pork, so I'll take a chuck roast, pat it dry, apply some olive oil, garlic and a dry rub (sometimes just salt, pepper & rosemary). I've done them in the oven, but prefer smoking on my Big Green Egg at around 230* until the internal temp is 205*. This ensures that all the fat and connective tissues have completely broken down. After it comes out I put it in a cooler for an hour or so to rest and then pull/shred. It always turns out moist and tasty.

I think the OP was asking about cooking it as a roast beef - like medoium rare or similar.

A slow cooker and a dutch oven on the stovetop or in the oven will yield similar results. With these methods, the meat is enclosed in a smaller container and the internal temperature of the roast is much higher than when it's dry roasted.

Correct! If you want to use your oven, you can put the roast in an oven bag...(I am big fan of meats in oven bags, as you throw them away after wards) I did this before as my crock pot was being used as a warmer for appetizers. I sear it first as well...

So what's the reason for putting the roast on top of the vegetables in a crock pot? Is it to keep the roast off the bottom, or to keep the veg submerged? I sure don't like cooking vegetables for that long!

Back
Top Bottom