Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
Went to the outdoor farmer's market nearby today and asked for marrow bones for soup/stock. She told me to go look at what they had for the week. I went with her son to the cooler and he apologized for the packaging. Apparently they had a new butcher/packager the day before and he didn't air seal the bones as per usual. he offered me the 9+ and 10+ lb bags for $2.40 a lb. I am used to paying 6 or so dollars a pound and bought them. When I got them home they were way more meat than bone and I vacuum sealed them on my foodsaver minus about 1 1/2 lbs put in the slowcooker with veg and water for broth. How can I get the most out of the beef on the bones without boiling them to death?

I would roast some of them, remove the meat for a meal, make a nice gravy from the drippings and then boil the roasted bones for stock.

I know, someone will comment, but a great way to use the bones, once the meat has been removed, is to roast them, then throw them into a pressure cooker and cook for about an hour. Even much of the calcium will have been leached from the bones, along with the marrow, and all the flavor. Great tasting, and nutritious broth can be used in so many ways.

The meat can be used in stir-fries, or chopped and added to stews, made into beef hash, etc. You can even use it on pizza. Add it to soups, creamy or brothy. Think beefy mushroom, or potato soup with beef.

You could probably throw it into a blender and add an egg, and make a beef pate, or a turine. What you can do with that meat is endless, if you have enough of it. Another classic would be osso bucco, though you are substituting your bone with meet for the traditional oxtail.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I brown the bones on the stove and then put them in my roaster overnight with water, bay, rosemary, onion. I leave them in overnight at 250. In the morning, I remove the bones, pick the meat off (and pop out the marrow). I use the stock for stews, etc.

This last weekend I cooked the Fergus Henderson recipe, Roast Bone Marrow on Toast, with parsley & shallot salad. Delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom