Bottom Round Roast-Rare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
Can I cook a bottom round roast rare? I've done it with a top round, but from some of the recipes I'm reading it's suggested to cook it low and slow, more like a pot roast style. My plan was to tie on some bacon set the roast onto some sliced onions, cook at high temp to sear the outside, turn it down and cook until rare (however long that will take probably at 300-350 I'm assuming). Thanks.

Can I cook a bottom round roast rare? I've done it with a top round, but from some of the recipes I'm reading it's suggested to cook it low and slow, more like a pot roast style. My plan was to tie on some bacon set the roast onto some sliced onions, cook at high temp to sear the outside, turn it down and cook until rare (however long that will take probably at 300-350 I'm assuming). Thanks.

Bottom round roasts are best done in a braise. They are tough and need the braise to tenderize.

I'm a person who loves my beef rare, even if it means that it is tough. If you go with that, then be very careful to slice it very thin, which can offset the toughness of the meat. But you can put it in a pan with an inch or so of wine, some baby carrots, mushrooms, small onions, new potatoes, cook slowly for hours, and have beef burgundy (or bordeau, or nouveau) all in one pot. I like to have all the veggies about the same size, but you can use just about any vegetable (I'm not talking about reproducing exactly the Julia Child thing, more a peasant comfort meal). Serve with a salad

Thanks, I'm going with a slow roast with onion gravy, I'll pick up another cut of meat to cook rare.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom