"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
Thank you for this. I still remember my mother's and grandmother's braciole and I am dying to make some myself. I am going to try it soon. I may also look up the Soprano's recipe but I agree that I would not use veal cutlets. That would be a waste of an expensive cut of meat. I imagine you could use a chuck steak pounded very thin.
A piece of chuck has a lot of flavor. And it pounds out thin.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I just watched David Rocco make some on his cooking show and thought... wow.. it has been years since I had braciole.

I wasn't thrilled with the recipe he made, the filling was parsely, raisins, and pine nuts. Does anyone have a good tried-and-true recipe for braciole?
WOW I missed this thread when it was new.

My grandpa had to have raisins and pine nuts in his meatballs and raviolis with sweet filling at least once a month like his mom made. My grandma made meat gravy EVERY sunday with braciole, meatballs and sausage.

My mom HAD to make those meatballs and raviolis at least once a year. I never cared for the sweet ravs and meatballs.

I posted my recipe if anyone is interested.

Ms. Mofet's Beef Braciole (click for recipe)

Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Hindsight is always 20-20. In this case removing the strings used to tie up the rolls was time consuming and difficult. In some cases it was nearly impossible to even find the strings.

I found these at Fantes and placed an order. Hopefully these will make assembling the dish and serving a bit easier.

How do you like the rings?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Although, I call them "rolatini" I guess they could be called braciole. Maybe not traditional, but we like them. I use round "steaks" (something that tough shouldn't be called steak), pounded thin and marinated in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic, garlic and dried herbs for an hour or so. Patted dry and stuffed using layered basil, motz, pepperoni or salami and mushrooms. I seal them with tooth picks, brown them off and simmer in Sunday gravy. Sometimes by themselves or with meatballs and sausage.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

The nice thing about this dish is you can stuff it with anythng you fancy.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The nice thing about this dish is you can stuff it with anythng you fancy.
I agree. Sometimes I add spinach, provolone and prosciutto. It depends on my mood. (Or, an Italian-style stuffed and rolled meatloaf.)

A very similar dish - Rosa di Parma

http://www.relish.com/articles/Rosa-...printable=true

http://www.relish.com/recipes/rosa-d...ef-tenderloin/

Transfer to warmed, individual plates, spooning the sauce over the top, and serve at once.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I agree. Sometimes I add spinach, provolone and prosciutto. It depends on my mood. (Or, an Italian-style stuffed and rolled meatloaf.)

A very similar dish - Rosa di Parma

Italian Stuffed Beef Tenderloin | Relish.com

Rosa di Parma (Filled Beef Tenderloin) Recipe | Relish.com

Transfer to warmed, individual plates, spooning the sauce over the top, and serve at once.
Both are excellent recipes. But I would have to leave the raisin/currants out. I usualy make it with breadcrumbs, spinach, pine nuts and prosciutto, provolone cheese. Also standard Italian seasonings. The down size for me is that I don't make it for myself. But for my daughter. I buy the meat and some of the ingredients. She buys the rest and brings them to me. She makes her Sunday gravy, I make the roll and tie it. Then she takes it home and finishes it off with the cooking. She can make it herself, but for some strange reason, Mom's cooking makes it taste better. We both use the same recipe. Mine just has an extra ingredient in it. Mother's Love.

Can you bottle Mother's Love?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #38
Executive Chef

My Sicilian grandfather used to make his with chopped hard boiled egg, but I make mine with sauted spinach, scrambled egg, and some shredded mozzerella to hold it together
Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
My Sicilian grandfather used to make his with chopped hard boiled egg, but I make mine with sauted spinach, scrambled egg, and some shredded mozzerella to hold it together
That is what is so great about this recipe. The stuffing is whatever you like.

Tags
beef, braciole, filling