Braciole Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I just watched David Rocco make some on his cooking show and thought... wow.. it has been years since I had braciole.

I wasn't thrilled with the recipe he made, the filling was parsely, raisins, and pine nuts. Does anyone have a good tried-and-true recipe for braciole?

My family likes this version. I get fairly frequent requests to prepare it.

Italian Round Steak Roll-ups Italian (Braciola)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Adapted from Texas Beef Council
Serving Size: 12

Ingredients:

Round Steak
3 pounds beef round steak, cut 1/4-inch thick and pounded to 1/8th
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
Stuffing
1 pound Uncooked bacon, Diced and Browned
1 pound ground italian sausage, Browned
1 1/2 cups fine bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
1 cup romano cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cups beef broth
48 ounces prepared spaghetti sauce, 2 Large Jars

Directions:

Pound out meat with mallet to about 1/8-inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap. Season with salt and pepper.

Dice bacon and brown in skillet and drain. Brown Italian Sausage and drain. In a medium bowl combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, basil, oregano, bacon, and sausage to make stuffing.

Layer each piece of steak with equal portions of the bread crumb mixture. Starting at the wide end, roll steak tightly jelly-roll fashion and tie with string.

Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic and onion until lightly browned. Place in bottom of 11 x 17 deep roasting pan. Brown steak rolls a few at a time on all sides and place in roasting pan. Add beef stock and place in 300°F degree oven for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and cover with the spaghetti sauce and any left over stuffing. Return to 300°F oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove when beef is fork tender.

To serve, remove string and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices and top with the sauce.

Last edited:
I just watched David Rocco make some on his cooking show and thought... wow.. it has been years since I had braciole.

I wasn't thrilled with the recipe he made, the filling was parsely, raisins, and pine nuts. Does anyone have a good tried-and-true recipe for braciole?
Dave this might work
Braciole Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network
kadesma
I have another you can look at same page chef Anne Burrell

Just made some this past weekend. I'll get some larger, thin cut steaks, pound them out and then stuff with a mixture of breadcrumb's, parmesan/romano/asiago (whatever I have) garlic, rosemary, salt & pepper and then top with a little mozzerella. Roll, tie, and then sear the outside. Then I'll take some of my wifes sauce and add in a 1/2 cup of red wine, put it all in a baking dish for about and hour or so. (Really until the meat is tender).

How come I've never had this stuff? It sounds amazing, like a rouladen with a good, herbed tomato sauce and cheese. Wow. I gotta make this recipe. Thanks for posting this group of recipes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Germans call it rouladen. The French call it roulade, the Italians call it braciole. A rose by any other name...

Made the recipe noted in post 2 exactly as listed. Came out really well. Tender and flavorful. The .40 household was happy all the way around, even the finicky teenagers.

A few of the individual rolls removed from the roaster and placed on a serving platter.
IMG_0314.JPG

Plate of sliced rolls and olive-oil garlic angel-hair pasta served to Mrs .40 right before I put a bit more sauce on the braciola.
IMG_0315.JPG

Hindsight is always 20-20. In this case removing the strings used to tie up the rolls was time consuming and difficult. In some cases it was nearly impossible to even find the strings.

I found these at Fantes and placed an order. Hopefully these will make assembling the dish and serving a bit easier.

22574meat_prep.jpg

Who knew? I learn something today.

I buy thicker butcher's string so it's easier to find and snip with the tips of scissors.

I don't make roulade often enough to buy the rings.

If I hadn't had chicken enchiladas ready to go, I'd be making this tonight...I still have tomorrow!

Thanks all! I'm going to make one of these next pay-week for sure!!!! Just printed out the thread for reference.

I was wondering...do you suppose this could be assembled and cooked in a pressure cooker? Or do you think it would end up falling apart?

I was wondering...do you suppose this could be assembled and cooked in a pressure cooker? Or do you think it would end up falling apart?

I think you could do it in the pressure cooker, but you wouldn't get that beautiful caramelization from the sauce.

i usually grill braciole and I prepare a sauce with cutted tomatoes, basil, garlic and oregano! Tomatoes must be the little one, called pachino! :)

I think I am going to try a mexican version of this.
The market I frequent has round steak marinated in mexican spices and cut thin for carne asada.They also sell homemade chorizo and cheeses.I think a chorizo/mushroom stuffing would work and I will add a few chiles to the tomatoe sauce.Maybe enchilada sauce.

I think I am going to try a mexican version of this.
The market I frequent has round steak marinated in mexican spices and cut thin for carne asada.They also sell homemade chorizo and cheeses.I think a chorizo/mushroom stuffing would work and I will add a few chiles to the tomatoe sauce.Maybe enchilada sauce.

That sounds wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom