Braised Corned Beef - advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The corned beef I bought over the weekend is about 6 pounds and it was one of the smaller ones I saw. I'll cook it tomorrow. That's way too much for one person, so I'm still trying to decide if should cut it up and freeze part of it, or just make the entire roast and eat off of it for the next week.

With the first option, the other half will probably never get used since I only eat corned beef once a year. With the second option, unless I can come up with a creative use for leftovers, I know that I'll be sick of it after about three days. :ermm:

I have to go to a function on Sunday where it's potluck and I'm signed up to bring an appetizer dish. I was thinking of bringing individual quiches, and possibly incorporating some of the leftover meat.

This also sounds pretty good:
Reuben Dip Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network

If anyone has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

How about individual Reuben sandwiches made with party size rye bread. And keep in mind, corn beef love to shrink when you cook it in water. So you don't have as much as you think you do. :angel:

I have to go to a function on Sunday where it's potluck and I'm signed up to bring an appetizer dish. I was thinking of bringing individual quiches, and possibly incorporating some of the leftover meat.

This also sounds pretty good:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/reuben-dip.html

If anyone has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

I had an idea today: Reuben-inspired roll-ups. Layer a slice of corned beef on a slice of Swiss cheese. Make (or buy) Russian dressing and add lightly crushed caraway seeds, for the rye bread flavor. Spread a little dressing on the cheese and roll it up into a cylinder. Secure with toothpicks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Turns out I didn't have as much leftover as I thought I would. First, I thought it was 6 lbs, but looking at the package, it was only 4. Still sounds like a lot of meat, but it reduced in volume since quite a bit of the fat rendered off while cooking.

I had enough leftover to make the Reuben Dip recipe I linked above, as well a good sized batch of corned beef hash that I'll enjoy with breakfast over the next few days.

img_1459509_0_9f9bce4ff5a22c6175490bc738cd7cf3.jpg

I'd take a nice 3 or 4 pound portion and slow cook it in a crockpot all day with some red potatoes, carrots, water, etc.. Yum.

Turns out I didn't have as much leftover as I thought I would. First, I thought it was 6 lbs, but looking at the package, it was only 4. Still sounds like a lot of meat, but it reduced in volume since quite a bit of the fat rendered off while cooking.

I had enough leftover to make the Reuben Dip recipe I linked above, as well a good sized batch of corned beef hash that I'll enjoy with breakfast over the next few days.

img_1459805_0_9f9bce4ff5a22c6175490bc738cd7cf3.jpg
Oh, that looks so good, Steve. And what perfect eggs. :yum:

Last edited:

img_1459823_0_9f9bce4ff5a22c6175490bc738cd7cf3.jpg

Oh that hash looks good.

For a change, I read the instructions on the corned beef package.
It said to not rinse it and to use the packing juices and seasoning pack. Cover completely with water and braise for 1 hour per pound. It was done after 6 hours and it was a 7.7 pound slab.
So, I'm thinking it might be to salty. I was wrong. It was one of the better corned beef I've made.

For a change, I read the instructions on the corned beef package.
It said to not rinse it and to use the packing juices and seasoning pack. Cover completely with water and braise for 1 hour per pound. It was done after 6 hours and it was a 7.7 pound slab.
So, I'm thinking it might be to salty. I was wrong. It was one of the better corned beef I've made.

If you take that same package of corned beef, grill it for 12 minutes per pound over a divided charcoal or gas fire, with smoking wood on top of the fire, then finish for 45 minutes in a pressure cooker, or another hour and a half in the oven wrapped tightly in a sealed foil packet at 325'F., you will have made a wonderful pastrami.

Just another option.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Followup: It was a hit.

I soaked the brisket for several hours in a five gallon bucket, changing water every half out and then covered in pickling spices.

To bake, I wrapped it tightly in foil and baked for about 12 hours @275. Fortunately I used a deep roaster (turkey size) instead of a sheet pan because there was a couple of inches of juice that rendered out during cooking. Dumb luck on my part.

After 12 hours, I drained the drippings and removed the foil, then scraped away the spices and some of the top fat pad then ran it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp and brown a little. Next, I let it rest for about 15 minutes and sliced. Never boiling corned beef again!

cornedbeef_1.jpg

cornedbeef_2.jpg

It lost about 30 percent of it's weight in cooking (rendered out in a pan full of drippings) and the 9 folks who ate it said it was amazing. Not salty, very flavorful and moist.

I started with a 12 lb brisket and had 9 folks eating - there was NONE left over. Sides were steamed cabbage wedges with lemon, steamed red potatoes with butter and parsley, a pear and walnut salad and a couple of sauces for the meat. (mustard/s and a horseradish cream sauce).

Followup: It was a hit.

I soaked the brisket for several hours in a five gallon bucket, changing water every half out and then covered in pickling spices.

To bake, I wrapped it tightly in foil and baked for about 12 hours @275. Fortunately I used a deep roaster (turkey size) instead of a sheet pan because there was a couple of inches of juice that rendered out during cooking. Dumb luck on my part.

After 12 hours, I drained the drippings and removed the foil, then scraped away the spices and some of the top fat pad then ran it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp and brown a little. Next, I let it rest for about 15 minutes and sliced. Never boiling corned beef again!"

View attachment 24582

View attachment 24583

It lost about 30 percent of it's weight in cooking (rendered out in a pan full of drippings) and the 9 folks who ate it said it was amazing. Not salty, very flavorful and moist.

I started with a 12 lb brisket and had 9 folks eating - there was NONE left over. Sides were steamed cabbage wedges with lemon, steamed red potatoes with butter and parsley, a pear and walnut salad and a couple of sauces for the meat. (mustard/s and a horseradish cream sauce).

That looks just as perfect as can be. You need to make another one just for you and you SO, for Rubens, corned beef hash, New England boiled dinner, etc.

Outstanding job.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom