"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #31
Executive Chef

For a change, I read the instructions on the corned beef package.
It said to not rinse it and to use the packing juices and seasoning pack. Cover completely with water and braise for 1 hour per pound. It was done after 6 hours and it was a 7.7 pound slab.
So, I'm thinking it might be to salty. I was wrong. It was one of the better corned beef I've made.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
For a change, I read the instructions on the corned beef package.
It said to not rinse it and to use the packing juices and seasoning pack. Cover completely with water and braise for 1 hour per pound. It was done after 6 hours and it was a 7.7 pound slab.
So, I'm thinking it might be to salty. I was wrong. It was one of the better corned beef I've made.
If you take that same package of corned beef, grill it for 12 minutes per pound over a divided charcoal or gas fire, with smoking wood on top of the fire, then finish for 45 minutes in a pressure cooker, or another hour and a half in the oven wrapped tightly in a sealed foil packet at 325'F., you will have made a wonderful pastrami.

Just another option.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #33
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Followup: It was a hit.

I soaked the brisket for several hours in a five gallon bucket, changing water every half out and then covered in pickling spices.

To bake, I wrapped it tightly in foil and baked for about 12 hours @275. Fortunately I used a deep roaster (turkey size) instead of a sheet pan because there was a couple of inches of juice that rendered out during cooking. Dumb luck on my part.

After 12 hours, I drained the drippings and removed the foil, then scraped away the spices and some of the top fat pad then ran it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp and brown a little. Next, I let it rest for about 15 minutes and sliced. Never boiling corned beef again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cornedbeef_1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	24582

Click image for larger version

Name:	cornedbeef_2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	24583

It lost about 30 percent of it's weight in cooking (rendered out in a pan full of drippings) and the 9 folks who ate it said it was amazing. Not salty, very flavorful and moist.

I started with a 12 lb brisket and had 9 folks eating - there was NONE left over. Sides were steamed cabbage wedges with lemon, steamed red potatoes with butter and parsley, a pear and walnut salad and a couple of sauces for the meat. (mustard/s and a horseradish cream sauce).
Old 04-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Great looking CB...good Job!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Followup: It was a hit.

I soaked the brisket for several hours in a five gallon bucket, changing water every half out and then covered in pickling spices.

To bake, I wrapped it tightly in foil and baked for about 12 hours @275. Fortunately I used a deep roaster (turkey size) instead of a sheet pan because there was a couple of inches of juice that rendered out during cooking. Dumb luck on my part.

After 12 hours, I drained the drippings and removed the foil, then scraped away the spices and some of the top fat pad then ran it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp and brown a little. Next, I let it rest for about 15 minutes and sliced. Never boiling corned beef again!"

Attachment 24582

Attachment 24583

It lost about 30 percent of it's weight in cooking (rendered out in a pan full of drippings) and the 9 folks who ate it said it was amazing. Not salty, very flavorful and moist.

I started with a 12 lb brisket and had 9 folks eating - there was NONE left over. Sides were steamed cabbage wedges with lemon, steamed red potatoes with butter and parsley, a pear and walnut salad and a couple of sauces for the meat. (mustard/s and a horseradish cream sauce).
That looks just as perfect as can be. You need to make another one just for you and you SO, for Rubens, corned beef hash, New England boiled dinner, etc.

Outstanding job.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, corn, corned beef