"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Braised Corned Beef - advice please

My adorable DH offered to take half the errand list yesterday

Nice right?

His half of the list included a trip to the local wholesale grocer for a number 10 can of artichoke hearts and a jar of capers (big pan of baked dip for an upcoming party). He came home with a few extra items and giant smile.
  • Large tub of red vines... ok, well.. someone will eat them
  • Can of stainless cleaner - great buy.
  • A small tub of creme fraiche - what an awesome treat
  • 12 lb corned beef brisket."Itwasonsalelookattheawesomeprice, ILOVECornedbeeftheleftoverswillbegreat, Icantakethemforlunch, ifyoucookitIwilldothedishes, paleeeeze..." How big?? GASP.

How do I cook this? I did some searching and it seems like the best plan is to soak it a bit to desalt, then slow cook, wrapped in foil for about 12 hours @275. Does this seem right? Any advice?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

Holy bat guano! 12 lbs? Is it party time?

I'd cut that puppy in half or quarters, and freeze it for later.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

What is a tub of red vines?

The first thing I would do is divide the corned beef into several pieces and freeze parts for future use. 12 pounds is a lot of roast beast.

If you have a party coming up, hubs could sacrifice part of the leftovers to make corned beef egg rolls or a spread on little party rye breads. There's gotta be good recipes around here or on the net.

No recent advice on how to cook corned beef. Seems like this is about the time I got fresh coriander and mustard seeds and what-all. We quit making corned beef awhile ago. ALTHOUGH, this means there is a severe lack of reuben sammies the next day.

What we do is go to the St Paddy's parade in St Paul mid morning. It's over by about lunch time. While everyone else heads to the nearest pub, we do a sneak around and go to a pretty nice Irish- Brit restaurant for corned beef and cabbage for lunch. Not crazy wild, just good food.

Now for those still standing, in the later afternoon, one can head over to Mpls for its St Paddy's parade and continue the party. Or like we do, go home, put on a pile of Irish music discs and have the equivalent of an Irish siesta. Add in the annual viewing of Darby O Gill and the Little People, (1959!) with a vey young Sean Connery and that's our party.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
What is a tub of red vines? .
This is a tub of red vines
Click image for larger version

Name:	redvines.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	24433

Here's how they are made...

I don't think they are a good paring with corned beef.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

Wow Janet....that's one big corned beef brisket - I don't think I've ever seen one that big!

I would portion it out into thirds or quarters, but I'm cooking for one. If you're going to cook that big boy whole, 12 hours covered at 275F sounds about right. If I remember right from cooking one last year, it takes around 3 hours at low oven temp to get a 3 pounder nice and tender.

I usually soak them for several hours or overnight, but sometimes I don't. I'm a salt fiend. I know I wouldn't have a pot big enough to soak a 12 pounder.

I'm going to have to get to the store tomorrow and pick one up - the main reason I cook a corned beef is for the Reuben sandwich leftovers!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
This is a tub of red vines
Attachment 24433

Here's how they are made...

I don't think they are a good paring with corned beef.
I thought the tub of red vines would be tomatoes. Shows where my head is lately.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

I usually soak them for several hours or overnight, but sometimes I don't. I'm a salt fiend. I know I wouldn't have a pot big enough to soak a 12 pounder.
I figured the 5 gal bucket I use to brine turkeys would work. Still a bit nervous about cooking this packer brisket. It's huge and there will be left overs unless there's a party.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
Master Chef

The leftovers would slice up and freeze well. Reubens for quite a while!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Janet, it's super easy. For nice and juicy corned beef, all I do is brown it in a Dutch oven, add 2 cups of stock (beef, chicken, or vegetable... it doesn't really matter) and a half cup of white wine, then cook it covered in a 225F oven for 5-6 hours, or until tender. As long as you don't boil it like many recipes recommend, it's impossible to ruin it.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Your roasting/braising method sounds right, Janet. When I worked in the cafeteria, we would use shallow steam table pans and put plastic wrap over and then foil. Fat cap up, removing foil/plastic in the last hour to crisp them up.

Yum!

Tags
beef, corn, corned beef