Braising eye round steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
Hey everyone. so i went a little nuts today at the butchers but i hadnt eaten all day and everything looked so good. i bought this nice 3lb chunk of eye round steak and usually i cut it into slices and pan fry for sandwiches but id love to try to braise for the first time. how would one do so? thanks!

Season with salt and pepper and brown it in hot oil on all sides. Place it in a dutch oven with diced onion, carrots and celery. Beef broth and red wine, tomato and some thyme, garlic and a couple of spoons of tomato paste. Bring it to a boil and simmer, covered for 2-3 hours until the meat is fork tender. You can also put the covered pot into a 300F oven and let it cook in there. When the meat is done, remove it and reduce the sauce and thicken oit with a flour and water slurry. Adjust the seasoning and serve.

Season with salt and pepper and brown it in hot oil on all sides. Place it in a dutch oven with diced onion, carrots and celery. Beef broth and red wine, tomato and some thyme, garlic and a couple of spoons of tomato paste. Bring it to a boil and simmer, covered for 2-3 hours until the meat is fork tender. You can also put the covered pot into a 300F oven and let it cook in there. When the meat is done, remove it and reduce the sauce and thicken oit with a flour and water slurry. Adjust the seasoning and serve.

Yep--but I would toss in some red potatoes cut in half...I like potatoes....

Sounds wonderful, Andy. I do it in a similar fashion but I have a question about the beef broth - broth in general. Do you make your own or do you buy it? The same with chicken. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never added broth to anything. I put some canned chicken broth in something once that said "for a richer result, sub some of the liquid with broth". Well, it came out too salty. Now, ya'll know I'm a poor cook so it could have been any number of things that made it too salty. (Cook's error is probably #1 on the list.) But I've been noticing ya'll mention broth a lot so there must be something to it. Any hints about this subject? TIA

I regularly make my own chicken stock, but not beef.

If you buy canned stocks, buy the low salt so you have more flexibility. I also have chicken and beef base on hand to intensify flavors. Again, look for the lower salt brands or options as they can add a lot fo salt.

I definitely need flexibility, Jennyema. I don't seem to have a natural knack for seasoning things. I am trying to learn that if a little is good, a lot is not better.

Fisher's Mom, I routinely make my own chicken, beef, and shrimp/seafood stock. I never add salt to the stock, to give myself more flexibility while cooking.

Heck, I just made a batch a chicken stock the other day.

I'll probably be making a pot roast here soon. My wife got a good-sized roast last week, and I know she loves my pot roast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom