"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Cook

Braising eye round steak

Hey everyone. so i went a little nuts today at the butchers but i hadnt eaten all day and everything looked so good. i bought this nice 3lb chunk of eye round steak and usually i cut it into slices and pan fry for sandwiches but id love to try to braise for the first time. how would one do so? thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Season with salt and pepper and brown it in hot oil on all sides. Place it in a dutch oven with diced onion, carrots and celery. Beef broth and red wine, tomato and some thyme, garlic and a couple of spoons of tomato paste. Bring it to a boil and simmer, covered for 2-3 hours until the meat is fork tender. You can also put the covered pot into a 300F oven and let it cook in there. When the meat is done, remove it and reduce the sauce and thicken oit with a flour and water slurry. Adjust the seasoning and serve.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

Andy M you are so right on
Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Season with salt and pepper and brown it in hot oil on all sides. Place it in a dutch oven with diced onion, carrots and celery. Beef broth and red wine, tomato and some thyme, garlic and a couple of spoons of tomato paste. Bring it to a boil and simmer, covered for 2-3 hours until the meat is fork tender. You can also put the covered pot into a 300F oven and let it cook in there. When the meat is done, remove it and reduce the sauce and thicken oit with a flour and water slurry. Adjust the seasoning and serve.

Yep--but I would toss in some red potatoes cut in half...I like potatoes....
Old 10-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sounds wonderful, Andy. I do it in a similar fashion but I have a question about the beef broth - broth in general. Do you make your own or do you buy it? The same with chicken. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never added broth to anything. I put some canned chicken broth in something once that said "for a richer result, sub some of the liquid with broth". Well, it came out too salty. Now, ya'll know I'm a poor cook so it could have been any number of things that made it too salty. (Cook's error is probably #1 on the list.) But I've been noticing ya'll mention broth a lot so there must be something to it. Any hints about this subject? TIA
Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I regularly make my own chicken stock, but not beef.

If you buy canned stocks, buy the low salt so you have more flexibility. I also have chicken and beef base on hand to intensify flavors. Again, look for the lower salt brands or options as they can add a lot fo salt.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Thanks so much, Andy. I didn't know they came in low-salt varieties but it makes sense.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

Yes, the low sodium canned broths allow you much more flexibility with seasoning.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I definitely need flexibility, Jennyema. I don't seem to have a natural knack for seasoning things. I am trying to learn that if a little is good, a lot is not better.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I definitely need flexibility, Jennyema. I don't seem to have a natural knack for seasoning things. I am trying to learn that if a little is good, a lot is not better.
That's a really good lesson to learn! Rememebr you can always add more.

Tags
None