"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Braising in a pressure cooker?

My bf wants me to cook a roast in a pressure cooker. He claims it will be the most tender roast I have ever had, but I've never used a pressure cooker, and he doesn't know much about it either, because he is just going by what his grandma used to do. He claims it only takes about an hour. I assume the liquid should be about halfway up the roast? And should I put the vegetables on top, or under the roast, or wait til the end to put them in? What temp should it be on? Any tips and recipes would be appreciated :) thanks in advance!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I have an electric PC. I just hit "stew" and it seems to work for anything I cook, so I'm no help. I'm pretty sure though it's twenty minutes cooking time after getting up to pressure. I did cook a chuck roast in it before and it was every bit as tender and flavorful as when I cook it for hours in the crock pot. Maybe moreso, as the PC seems to "drive" the flavors into whatever it's cooking. I browned my roast first and set it on top of the veggies. The instructions said how much liquid to add and I can't remember how much that was now.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You need very little liquid in a pressure cooker. You need to follow the recipe and cooking directions carefully. Especially if you've never used a pressure cooker before.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
You need very little liquid in a pressure cooker. You need to follow the recipe and cooking directions carefully. Especially if you've never used a pressure cooker before.
My problem is that I have no recipes :( I looked online and couldn't really find anything about cooking meat in a pressure cooker
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Perfect Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Just google 'pot roast in a pressure cooker'.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
My problem is that I have no recipes :( I looked online and couldn't really find anything about cooking meat in a pressure cooker
Hon, you really need the book that comes with the pressure cooker. If you've never used one before, you can't just toss the meat in, cover it and cook it. There are many considerations when cooking with a pressure cooker, is the gasket clean and undamaged? Are the safety mechanisms in working order?

Where did you get the pressure cooker you are planning on using? Yes, I'm planning on scaring you, just a little...until you have read about using it and know what to expect, you should not use a pressure cooker.

I've used one for years, but it sounds like you have never used one and neither has your BF, he's only seen someone else use it. Please tell me about the pressure cooker you are planning on using.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Just think Andy's mishap thread yesterday with the boiling water and oil times 100
Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Hon, you really need the book that comes with the pressure cooker. If you've never used one before, you can't just toss the meat in, cover it and cook it. There are many considerations when cooking with a pressure cooker, is the gasket clean and undamaged? Are the safety mechanisms in working order?

Where did you get the pressure cooker you are planning on using? Yes, I'm planning on scaring you, just a little...until you have read about using it and know what to expect, you should not use a pressure cooker.

I've used one for years, but it sounds like you have never used one and neither has your BF, he's only seen someone else use it. Please tell me about the pressure cooker you are planning on using.
If you don't have the manual, a large number are available for free on the internet. Yahoo groups is a good place to start. A pressure cooker is essentially a steam boiler operating under very high pressure, and incorrect usage is dangerous.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Just think Andy's mishap thread yesterday with the boiling water and oil times 100
That's exactly what I'm worrying about. First time use of a pressure cooker should be taught by someone with experience...not guessed. Especially if you don't have the book that came with the pressure cooker.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Sous Chef

It's my bf's pressure cooker. He has used it for roasts, but is very vague about how to do it, which is why I'm asking on here. The pressure valve on the top works fine, and it locks when it is under any pressure, so it can't be opened until you release the pressure. Is that the gasket you mentioned? If so, it works fine.

Tags
other