Browning meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Temecula1

Assistant Cook
I'm new at this cooking stuff. Recipe for porcupine meatballs says to brown the meatballs first. I assume this means to turn them or roll them to brown them on all sides, but when using tongs to roll them they break apart and lose their round shape. Does browning them before adding the sauce really mean on all sides or just on the side initially set in the pan?

Use the back of the tongs or a wooden spoon to push/roll them around. Some meatballs have a soft consistency and a slight flat spot is inevitable, but they should not be breaking apart.
Or... brown them in the oven and you won't have to turn them at all.

Hi, and welcome to DC :)

Yes, the recipe means to brown them on all sides. I've never liked doing that, so I bake them instead. I preheat the oven to 400°F, line a sheet pan with foil, place the meatballs on the pan, and bake for about 12-15 minutes. No standing at the stove baby-sitting the meatballs! :mrgreen:

Browning adds tons of flavor.

Your best bet is to brown them in a hot skillet. However, using the oven is fine, especially if the meatballs are delicate. Use a hot oven temp (400ºF to 450ºF) leave lots of space in between the meatballs and put them on a rack in the sheet pan so they will brown as much as possible. Either way, when they're done, drain off the fat, deglaze the pan and add the juices to the sauce.

I use to brown them, but one time was make meatball for a family event and thought oh goodness now I got to brown all these - Nope, I baked them and will never brown again, I think they hold together better in the sauce and they still brown up and still get a lot of flavor from them.

Browning is where all the meaty flavor comes from

Of your meatballs fall apart in the pan, it's likely your recipe is faulty.

I'm new at this cooking stuff. Recipe for porcupine meatballs says to brown the meatballs first. I assume this means to turn them or roll them to brown them on all sides, but when using tongs to roll them they break apart and lose their round shape. Does browning them before adding the sauce really mean on all sides or just on the side initially set in the pan?

Browning is where all the meaty flavor comes from

Of your meatballs fall apart in the pan, it's likely your recipe is faulty.

I read it to mean his method might be faulty, as in he/she grabbed the meatballs with tongs to turn them. I could be wrong.

The recipe was well reviewed online. The meatball prep called for a half cup of water. This may have contributed to over juicy balls. I used 10% fat ground beef. I also did in fact use the tongs poorly, as I now realize.

The looser the meatball the better the texture IMO. Just like a hamburger.

The looser the meatball the better the texture IMO. Just like a hamburger.

I agre a meatball should have a softer texture than just a ball of hamburg. That's why we add bread/breadcrumbs. However, there has to be enough structure for the meatballs so they stay together. I brown my meatballs in a hot skillet (actually to hot skillets to save time). I turn them with tongs to brown all sides them plop them into the sauce cooking on the next burner. They hold together, and are soft and tender.

I agree, either the recipe or the OP's process is at fault.

The recipe was well reviewed online. The meatball prep called for a half cup of water. This may have contributed to over juicy balls. I used 10% fat ground beef. I also did in fact use the tongs poorly, as I now realize.

Try replacing that water with milk. The enzymes in the milk will tenderize the meat. And you may want to reduce the amount of the liquid. :angel:

Last edited:
If I have time to watch the pot I slip the raw meatballs into the sauce and let them cook in the simmering sauce without browning. In the beginning, until the meatballs "set" you can't really stir the pot, just give the pan a jiggle every now and then. The grease released by the meatballs helps to flavor the sauce and should be removed from the sauce prior to serving.

If I am in a hurry I bake the meatballs in the oven and freeze some in meal sized portions. I just pop the frozen meatballs into some marinara sauce and let them thaw while the macaroni cooks.

I also add a ladle of sauce to the meatball mix for moisture instead of using water or milk.

Finally I use half fresh bread crumbs and half grated cheese as the filler in my meatballs.

I brown mine in a hot non stick pan with some oil. I use a thin spatula to actully ' roll' them, instead of picking them up. they do sometimes get a few flat sides, but when put in the sauce , they usually expand and round off. Although , when my daughter tried doing the same thing, they didnt round off, and we call hers ' meat-cubes' tasted great though.

I'll bet the meat cubes were easier to cut with your fork than a ball. ;)

thats funny Aunt Bea 0r leftover became sandwiches the next day

Nothing I like better than a cold meatloaf sandwich on rye with some Russian or Thousand Island dressing, even a meatloaf Reuben with coleslaw, chips and a pickle!

Square meatballs, not so much! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Cold meatloaf on wheat with mustard. Just sayin'.

Interesting idea to add the sauce into your meataballs for the moisture.
Do you still add egg?

Back
Top Bottom