Buckytom's Mom's Pot Roast "Recipe"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i called my mama, and this is what she said:

1.take a bottom round or rump roast, rump is better, rub it on all sides with salt and pepper, and a healthy dose of paprika. mom's options are to cut a few slits into the meat and stuff a few garlic cloves inside, but that's just when she's "trying something really different".

2. in a heavy pot, brown the meat well on all sides in vegetable oil, and add a coulpa halved large onions towards the end of the browning process to let them carmelize a little.

3. add an coupla peeled whole carrots, and enough water to come up no more than a quarter of the side of the meat. the meat and onions will relase more liquid as it cooks. if you use too much water, you're just boiling it, and the gravy will not have a good flavor. mom's "wild" option here is to add some fresh herbs to the pot, like rosemary, thyme, bay, or sage. not too much tho. just a small leaf or sprig or two.

4. let it simmer, covered, for about an hour and a half, flip the meat, and simmer, covered, for another hour or more, until the meat is fork tender.

5. set meat aside, and plate surrounded by the onions and carrots. turn the heat up to high under the pot to reduce the liquid for a gravy, scraping the sides and bottom of the pan, adding a hunk of butter to finish. stir some chopped parsely into the gravy, and use more as a garnish for the meat, veggies and gravy.

if you need a lot of gravy, don't reduce the liquid, but still turn up the heat and stir in a flour or cornstarch slurry, letting it "cook" into the gravy for a minute or two. add hunk o' butter and parsley, as heretofore mentioned.

serve with mashed potato volcanoes (to hold some gravy), and baby peas with worcestershire sauce, or hp sauce. ketchup if you must.

i can hear mom calling in everyone for dinner, in her brooklynese.
"rick, carol, kathy, claire, diane, tommy,..... diiiinnuh!"

:chef:

BT, your mom's roast sounds just perfect...Will be giving this a try, my kids and the little ones will love it...Thanks for sharing with us.
kadesma:)

That's sounds like my grandma's pot roast, Bucky. Just replace the onion with potatoes and carrots. My aunt modernized the recipe a bit by adding onions and celery.

i called my mama, and this is what she said:

1.take a bottom round or rump roast, rump is better, rub it on all sides with salt and pepper, and a healthy dose of paprika. mom's options are to cut a few slits into the meat and stuff a few garlic cloves inside, but that's just when she's "trying something really different".

2. in a heavy pot, brown the meat well on all sides in vegetable oil, and add a coulpa halved large onions towards the end of the browning process to let them carmelize a little.

3. add an coupla peeled whole carrots, and enough water to come up no more than a quarter of the side of the meat. the meat and onions will relase more liquid as it cooks. if you use too much water, you're just boiling it, and the gravy will not have a good flavor. mom's "wild" option here is to add some fresh herbs to the pot, like rosemary, thyme, bay, or sage. not too much tho. just a small leaf or sprig or two.

4. let it simmer, covered, for about an hour and a half, flip the meat, and simmer, covered, for another hour or more, until the meat is fork tender.

5. set meat aside, and plate surrounded by the onions and carrots. turn the heat up to high under the pot to reduce the liquid for a gravy, scraping the sides and bottom of the pan, adding a hunk of butter to finish. stir some chopped parsely into the gravy, and use more as a garnish for the meat, veggies and gravy.

if you need a lot of gravy, don't reduce the liquid, but still turn up the heat and stir in a flour or cornstarch slurry, letting it "cook" into the gravy for a minute or two. add hunk o' butter and parsley, as heretofore mentioned.

serve with mashed potato volcanoes (to hold some gravy), and baby peas with worcestershire sauce, or hp sauce. ketchup if you must.

i can hear mom calling in everyone for dinner, in her brooklynese.
"rick, carol, kathy, claire, diane, tommy,..... diiiinnuh!"

loved your synopsis Buck..........great visual, thanks so much for sharing........

Sounds right.. another option, after browning the meat, deglaze the pan with a little wine then add your water.
If you don't want to make mashed potatoes, cut the taters in half and toss them in with the onion. Add some celery and it's pretty close to cooking it in a standard Moir Poix.

i hope not jeekinz. thanks. there are no words to describe the greatness of my mom.

jeff and connie, she used to add celery, which was my favourite part of the cooked veggies, but she doesn't anymore. not sure why; i'll have to ask. my wife and son prefer it without celery anyway.

i'd imagine cooking the potatoes with the roast gives off some of it';s starch to help thicken the gravy even more. thanks, i'll try that some day.

Just YUM.

I see pot roast in my weekend plans .... I am glad fall is here!

Heyyyyy, me too!

I've got the chuck roast, carrots, onions, garlic, mushrooms and a small rutabaga to toss in there. Served with mashed potatoes.

Can't wait!

Lee

i called my mama, and this is what she said:<snip>
</snip>...and stuff a few garlic cloves inside, but that's just when she's "trying something really different".

Aww, bless. Mum's like that. Dad was staying with me whilst he recuperated from an operation (Mum doesn't drive far, so the 1.5 hours down the coast to my city was a no-no for her, and driving was verboten for dad), and raved about all the meals I made.

My secret? Herbs. Something that mum, bless her, never uses in her cooking. She cooks to feed, and does it well... Without herbs.

Back
Top Bottom