"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Love buffalo burgers. Just do them like you would beef.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #12
Master Chef

I find the meat just a bit lean and so add an egg, per/lb. of bison meat. I sometimes add reconstituted TVP granules or add nourishment and texture improvement, but at no more that 1/3 TVP for 2/3 meat. This is especialy useful if you're going to use the bison in any recipe that would use browned ground beef, as in tacos, enchilada pie, lasagna, etc.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #13
Sous Chef

On the few occasions I've had it, I put a pat of butter in the center, same as I do with lean ground beef. Buffalo is extremely expensive here and not all that fresh, so I personally stick to hamburger most of the time.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
That is all we eat here.The proccesser will ask us how what % pork fat we want in the ground meat we go about 5 % if there is no fat and Im frying them in a pan I put some canola oil in pan the meat seems to soak it up I bet you could mix a little olive oil in the meat to moisten it or what I have done with pure ground venison with no fat is to mix in a little hamburger meat in to add a little fat to it.And of course dont overcook.
Hey, jpmcgrew, I just noticed you're from Raton, NM. Do you know where your supplier is getting his buffalo? By any chance, is it from the Philmont herd?

Only reason I ask, is I worked out there in the CHQ kitchen the summer of '92. I know the ranch would slaughter some buffalo every week. When we made meatloaf, it was usually a 50/50 mix of ground beef and ground buffalo.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:11 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
On the few occasions I've had it, I put a pat of butter in the center, same as I do with lean ground beef. Buffalo is extremely expensive here and not all that fresh, so I personally stick to hamburger most of the time.
I like the butter idea. I'll have to try that some time soon.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:04 PM   #16
Sous Chef

We have a herd of buffalo at work (believe it or not) so I just can't eat a buffalo burger, knowing them as I do.

BC
Old 05-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Hey ALLEN MI

I live at Vermejo Park Ranch just west of Raton its a fishing and hunting guest ranch some of the hunters want to get a buffalo and alot of times they dont want the meat so we get it for free and just pay the 69 cents to have it processed the ranch has no cattle as Ted Turner owns it and only wants Bison.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #18
Executive Chef

OIC

I made it into Raton a few times when I had the time off. I remember there was a shopping center on the south side of town (I think), I know it had a K-mart, and there was a colony of prarie dogs that had started a town in the grass between the parking lot and the sidewalk. Are they still there?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Hey ALLEN MI

I dont think they are there any more but we have alot of them here they aren't to popular with the locals as their holes break horses legs and they can be carriers of the black plague which tends to pop up once in awhile in New Mexico. Once in a while a human will contract it but it can also kill dogs and cats as it is transmitted by flea bites.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:31 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Buffalo or Beef

Mix in some worchestershire sauce. Cook fairly rare in a little butter. Top with blue cheese & some carmelized onions on a good quality wheat bun. Add any other condiments you like, mayo, bbq sauce, tomatoe & lettuce. It is juicy & messy but oh so tasty. Makes for a really hearty meal. Best to use a cast iron skillet or broil.

Tags
None