"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 05-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Head Chef

Buffalo Burgers? Your input

What do you know about buffalo burgers? do you like them? what is best way to cook these indoors?

my girl is always hyping about them.

She says her mom told her something that you have to add something to the meat to make it keep moist or something because it's too lean?

what do you season your buffalo burgers with?

what does the meat taste like?

Whats the best type of cheese on a buffalo burger?

Any miscellaneous facts throw em at me.

Cheers

Old 05-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never been that keen on them. You could cook a buffalo burger and pass it off as beef. Most people wouldn't notice. Do what you like for beef to the buffalo.

It is a very lean meat so you have to be careful not to dry it out. Cook it quickly to medium rare or less. Don't press down on the burger while cooking as it forces out all the juices.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I've purchased a bunch of different brands of ground buffalo, both fresh and frozen, and they didn't seem that lean to me. No leaner than, say, 90% lean beef, but probably more in the 85% realm.

Ground buffalo, for me, is almost indistinguishable from ground beef in flavor. Maybe just a little bit 'darker' in taste, kind of like the 'darkness' you get with a filet mignon. I'm pretty sure that if you put a buffalo burger next to a hamburger in a taste test, most people wouldn't be able to taste the difference.

This being said, it is a nice change in pace to have a buffalo burger every once in a while.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Exclamation

I love buffalo. I haven't had it in a few years (hard to find here), but I can't remember cooking burgers any differently than with beef. My favorite thing to make with ground buffalo is meatloaf (I call it "Buffaloaf.") It has much less fat, so it doesn't shrink, and it really holds its shape when it cooks.

Barbara
Old 05-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

legs, we buy buffalo meat often, directly from the rancher thru a co-worker that lives across a stream from the ranch. i've found the flavor to be much like beef, but i think it is different enough to be able to tell them apart. slightly gamier. (a restaurant owner/friend says some places try mixing buffalo with cheap beef to save money and add some fat.)
like scott said, i've found most pure ground buffalo to be about 90% lean. but do not try to cook them well done. you can cook them forever until they dry out like a puck, but they'll still be a little pinkish inside. so just go by the "feel", ya know, like the heel of your palm, to tell when they're done.
i've wanted to try something someone here mentioned. gonna put a pat of frozen butter in the middle of the burger, see if it helps the juiciness.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
Okay, you say "buffalo burgers" and my first thought is, "burgers could be good tossed in hot sauce."

See what this addiction has done to me?!

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:10 AM   #7
Master Chef

Buffalo is very lean .... aka very little fat. I think it has a little lighter (sweeter) taste than beef .... but if your going to douse it with steak sauces, etc. you probably don't notice the difference. Some people think it has a "gamey" taste ... I'm guessing it is because they knew what they were eating before they tasted it. Grass fed Angus beef taste just as "gamey".

Buffalo is also more tender than beef.

As for cooking ... just treat it like you would a very lean cut of beef.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I used to work with a chef that lived for Buffalo...this when I was first cooking professionally, about 15 years ago.

I learned a lot of good recipes from him, very resourceful, and flavorful meat!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'd say that the #1 thing you need to watch is the "doneness" - medium rare and no more. I have added a little olive oil, smooshed fresh garlic with kosher salt, Worcestershire and some horseradish - gives it a nice flavor. But that's how I make my burgers too.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

That is all we eat here.The proccesser will ask us how what % pork fat we want in the ground meat we go about 5 % if there is no fat and Im frying them in a pan I put some canola oil in pan the meat seems to soak it up I bet you could mix a little olive oil in the meat to moisten it or what I have done with pure ground venison with no fat is to mix in a little hamburger meat in to add a little fat to it.And of course dont overcook.

Tags
None