Burger Meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
what kind of meat do u all use for your burgers??

i used to use ground sirloin with as little fat as i could find (i for some reason thought this was less risky in regards to mad cow disease, and chuncks of grizzle).

i have been *educated* that my precausions will not help in this area.

so, what kind of beef do u all buy, and what % of fat content do u find best?!?

t.i.a.!! :chef:

Chuck because it tastes better than sirloin, IMO. Usually 80-85% lean.

If you are worried about mad cow, you're better off grinding your own meat. Just buy a chunk of sirloin, chuck or whatever -- not on the bone -- and grind it in a food processor.

Mad cow shmad cow, just don't eat the spinal column or the brains and you will be fine.

I buy lean beef and I can't tell you what % fat it is because it is 4H beef. I CAN tell you that it is so lean I frequently need to put some olive oil in the pan so the meat doesn't burn.

Depending on what I am using the ground meat for, sometimes I will add some ground pork to the mix for some flavour.

well, as for BSE(mad-cow), you can take precautions by only buying beef that is labeled "grass fed"... these cows are fed a species appropriate vegetarian diet. grass fed beef is actually better for you because it contains much higher levels of omega-3, not to mention much higher levels of vitamins A and E. myself, i buy only grass-fed beef. for burgers, i like a higher fat content... i usually buy 85 or 90% lean for burgers, 95% lean for everything else.

Last edited:
I've never seen the meat labelled "grass fed" at my local supermarket (northern NJ). Where would this be most commonly available?

thanx for the info guys.

as for grass fed beef...do supermakets such as giant & safeway carry this? i dont recall seeing it anywhere.

mugsy27 said:
do supermakets such as giant & safeway carry this? i dont recall seeing it anywhere.

hmmm, i dont think so. we have safeway here and they sure dont carry it. i buy my meat from one of several local butchers, or from Whole Foods (health food store). Trader Joes is a good place to look if you have one of those, my Trader Joes carries two different kinds of grass fed beef.

Sandyj said:
I've never seen the meat labelled "grass fed" at my local supermarket (northern NJ). Where would this be most commonly available?

Whole Foods, etc.

Maybe some high end supermarkets.

how does this beef taste? is it just like normal, or does it "taste like chicken"??

mugsy27 said:
how does this beef taste? is it just like normal, or does it "taste like chicken"??

i find grass fed beef to be very similair.. maybe a little bit gamier. the thing is, most producers of grass fed beef work on a much smaller scale than those of "conventionally farmed" beef, so the meat is usually of a high quality.

smaller farms= more attention to detail.:)

I only buy organic meats, which means that if they are not fully grass fed, then any cattle-cake etc has to be from a recognised, organic source.

I like ground chuck...you need a little fat to make them taste good. In fact, plain hamburger is fine on the grill, as the fat drips off anyway.

Back
Top Bottom